Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Press no longer sacred >

Best Press no longer sacred

Best Press no longer sacred

Old 10-27-2014, 05:37 AM

About 5 years ago I went into a Dollar General store and they were selling their spray starch for fifty cents. I bought about 9 bottles. I love the stuff and don't believe I will be buying anything else in the future. Magic Sizing works for me and Niagara is great too.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
It was close to $10 for the small bottle whereas reg spray starch at the supermarket was $4. I spend on quilting and be frugal elsewhere. I have priorities. Lol
Use Joann's coupons and get a gallon (or 2) for half price.........and have them shipped to you........I refill a generic spray bottle and buy only the gallon refills of this............and I go thru a ton of it........
Old 10-27-2014, 07:54 AM

I do love Best Press, but wanted to try the recipe due to cost, (even though I only buy BP when on great sale, or have a coupon) I thought it worked pretty good, but didn't have the "finish" feal that BP gives.
I don't let it partially dry, but I do spray a "pile" of fabric - holding each piece up - spray - rotate to dry area - spray, then just let it rest on the ironing board as I proceed to the next piece of fabric. By the time I'm done spraying all the fabric I intend to iron it seems as if the BP has soaked into the fabric enough to migrate to areas I didn't spray so well, and I start ironing! It definitely helps get those hard wrinkles out. Cutting fabric is much nicer with the slight stiffness it gives, and doing hand stitched Hexies is definitely much easier too!
Old 10-27-2014, 08:13 AM

always buy it when I have a 40% or 50% coupon. And I pour it into a smaller spray bottle diluted with a bit of water. I don't do this to be frugal, I think it works better a bit diluted.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:03 AM

Here is the recipe for the Homemade - lavender linen recipe: lavender essential oil/Vodka/distilled water

2 cups distilled water
2 ounces vodka (this keeps the oil from separating in the water)
20 drips lavender essential oil
Old 10-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Notwendy View Post
I make my own but I do have a small bottle of the Linen scented Best Press. That scent is good enough to make me iron sheets! I didn't think Best Press was very good until I was told to let it partially dry before ironing. Made a world of difference. But homemade is MUCH stronger and cheaper. Plus I'm too impatient to let things partially dry.

I like the linen scent, too... but it is a bit strong. I buy gallons of unscented from Amazon and then pick up the quart size bottles of linen at my local quilt store - and mix them.

Earlier in this thread, I read that it can be watered down and still be good... I *might* try that when my bottles go down a bit.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:10 AM

Your DH can IRON???????
Buy him more! Buy it by the gallon! Get him a lifetime supply! He rocks!
Old 10-27-2014, 01:59 PM

I buy it by the gallon when I can get it online for about $40 w/ shipping. Local JoAnn's doesn't carry it and LQS only carries small, very expensive bottles.

If you are "stretching" be careful not to mix too much ahead. Water from the tap has lots of things in it, that over time, will cause the mixture to go bad.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:28 PM

i really like the good out fashioned Stayflo concentrate. Mix him up a bottle of that and hide your Best Press if you still prefer it.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:18 PM

If my husband ironed he could use anything he wanted too.
Robin in TX