Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ask the experts >

Ask the experts

Ask the experts

Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
I'm not doing FMQ. Just using a built in stitch. It has a little bit of a swirl to it. It would be ok if it stretched some, but it is totally getting out of shape.
The batting is polyester. I actually thought of that. But I buy the batting in huge rolls at a discount to use for charity quilts. The thing is I've been using it for years.
I really think I have a lemon of a machine. It has caused me nothing but grief. Sucking the joy out of quilting. There are days I'm ready to throw it out the window. today is one of them.
The problem you are having.....I have it all the time with polyester backing. I don't often buy cotton batting.
My straight quilting goes great as long as I don't try to cross my previous quilting.
Just yesterday, a friend that learned of my dilemma, suggested that the problem may be the quilting foot...it may not be working quite right. I plan to buy a new walking foot to test this theory.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by tapper View Post
The problem you are having.....I have it all the time with polyester backing. I don't often buy cotton batting.
My straight quilting goes great as long as I don't try to cross my previous quilting.
Just yesterday, a friend that learned of my dilemma, suggested that the problem may be the quilting foot...it may not be working quite right. I plan to buy a new walking foot to test this theory.
I have more than one walking foot. 2 different widths. They both do the same thing. I'm not even going to try to quilt it in the opposite direction. Once I force myself to do the last 4 lines of stitching, I'm calling it done.
At this point I'm afraid to try anything I care about for fear some new weird thing would start happening with the machine or the results. It's one thing to have these things happen to donation quilts, but another entirely for it to happen on a big project.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:47 AM
amh

I think it is your walking foot. I believe that they were meant only for straight stitching and were not meant to go backwards, or side to side. I would try taking it off and putting on a regular type foot to see what happens.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:54 AM

Have you tried increasing your stitch length? That helps me sometimes with the deco stitches on a quilt. Go up to 3 or even 4. Also push the top layer of fabric back slightly all the time to keep it from stretching so much. I think the poly batting is too thick and stretchy for most deco stitches. This happens to me all the time, because I like to do special stitches on my charity quilts! Remember, the recipient of the quilt will never know or care about the bunching. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2014, 11:57 AM

I have a Viking Rose. I almost never use a straight stitch to quilt with the walking foot. The #17 stitch I use takes nips to alternating sides every couple stitches, but does not go backwards. Are you using an extension table? It helps to have a large flat surface. My machine sets in a cabinet/table so I am able to hand stretch & guide the quilt as it is being stitched. I also pin the sandwich & only remove a pin if it is in the path of the needle.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:04 PM

The walking foot has feet on the top that feed the fabric forward at the same time as the feeddogs on the bottom feed the fabric from the bottom. I would think that any stitch that has any sideway or back motion to it would be fighting against the walking foot. I would try the decorative stitch without the walking foot and see what happens.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Just a wild thought but try decreasing your presser foot pressure, just a tiny bit. Poly batting sometimes has a tendency to slide, between the two layers of fabric. You might also try thread-basting a bit, to see if that holds better than pins.
Whenever I use the walking foot I lower the foot pressure by 1 or 2 numbers.....it actually stated that in the directions that were included w/foot....
Old 10-28-2014, 05:41 AM

When I have a sewing problem with a machine, I call my dealer. They sew on the machines and know them. They can probably tell you how to solve your problem. Hope this helps
Old 10-28-2014, 06:08 AM

I enrolled in an online class at Craftsy called Creative Quilting with Your Walking Foot by Jacquie Gerig and she used her walking foot to do some decorative stitches. (simple decorative stitches and waves) She stressed to go slow. The class was awesome!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by okie2tx View Post
I enrolled in an online class at Craftsy called Creative Quilting with Your Walking Foot by Jacquie Gerig and she used her walking foot to do some decorative stitches. (simple decorative stitches and waves) She stressed to go slow. The class was awesome!
i took that same class and I agree! Loved it.