Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions? >

Suggestions?

Suggestions?

Old 10-28-2014, 06:55 AM

Although I have not experienced a dry spell, there have been times when I haven't had much time for quilting. I also didn't have a good place to quilt and had to get everything out and get it all put back up each time I wanted to quilt. First thing I did was join a quilt guild. That gave me lots of motivation and next I was able to find a place that I didn't have to put it all away each time I started on a project. Finally, I started using utube to look up ways to learn to machine quilt on my domestic machine. I have learned so much now that I enjoy free motion even more than piecing. And as they say, practice, practice, practice. Just make quilt sandwiches and go to it. No one has to see what you do so if you don't like it just keep trying. You will get better. And you don't have to be perfect or quilt like others. As long as you are pleased with your progress, then quilt your own projects and be proud that you did it yourself. I can't afford to have mine quilted by others so I guess it forced me to learn. I also like to be able to say that I did it all myself. That alone gives me satisfaction. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 10-28-2014, 07:38 AM

Maybe you could start with a small project, like a holiday wall hanging or table runner. Maybe one that could just be stitched in the ditch instead of more intricate quilting. Make a small quilted Christmas gift for a friend or family member. This just might spark your interest again. The fact that you participate in this board is a good sign that you haven't lost ALL interest. Just relax and have fun.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:46 AM

I had the same problem a while back. It was just too frustrating to work so hard on piecing and the not be physically able to machine quilt on my domestic machine. (Too many back injuries) so, for a while I made nothing, and suffered guilt over all the fabric not being used. My solution was to find a way to be able to quilt them myself, and still have some fun. The answer came late one night when I could not sleep. quilt as you go! I watched probably hundreds of YouTube videos until I had found a method that I could manage, and a result I could be happy with. Now I am experimenting with all kinds of patterns for QAG. Applique, panels, as well as piecing. I think I have found my niche. I know you will find yours.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:04 AM

Since I have retired, I cannot afford to send all my quilts out to be quilted. I have tried free motion quilting, and I do not like it. I have started tieing many of my quilts and I am learning to hand quilt, particularly smaller projects, lap quilts and smaller. I have found I really like tied quilts because they are softer and more "user friendly."
Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

I think we all have dry spells now and again. I would suggest joining a Quilt Guild, taking a class or even going to a quilt show, all of which I've done in the past to get recharged. Start small, and I doubt that even the best machine quilter started out with a masterpiece, learning to machine quilt takes time and practice, but don't get discouraged. Or, you could try a completely different craft, which might inspire you in a different direction altogether, or get you back to quilting.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:14 PM

depending on what kind of machine you have, you can download quilt designs and quilt in the hoop
Old 10-28-2014, 01:05 PM

Try going to your library and checking out some quilt books or just reading them in the library. You may find something there that inspires you.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:06 PM

often the problem is that it stopped being fun and became work - a super motivation killer! If you were concerned about doing machine quilting, that may have been your trigger. My suggestion is do something fun again. Maybe it is a small project ( a placemat), a seasonal item (a Christmas stocking), a simple baby blanket to donate or a table runner to give to the local senior center. These items are all small, they go together quickly and you could practice some straight line quilting without too much difficulty. While it isn't instant gratification, it is fairly quick gratification. With every pat on the back you give yourself, you will be encouraged to do something else. Just don't jump to a big project too soon. And please remember, no one else is going to notice the imperfections in your item, don't be hard on yourself!
Old 10-28-2014, 04:00 PM

If you want absolute perfection it takes practice so if you are bored with the practice you might be better off making small projects to use up your stash? Try table runners and bed runners, place mats, mug rugs and bags. If that fails, perhaps your interests just lie elsewhere, and there is no shame in that as everyone has different likes. Perhaps you just haven't found your niche?
One thought is that you may gain new motivation if you were prepared to show a younger person the basics?
Old 10-28-2014, 04:45 PM

Hi Dreaming: I agree with all who have replied to your situation. I'm wondering what happened to you 2-3 years ago (not that you need share with the board) but it seems something may have triggered your loss of desire to quilt. Perhaps a major depression has set in on you and you may not realize it. Sometimes we don't see what's happening to us or we deny it. Please check with your doctor and make sure that is not the issue.
Perhaps you have changed paths in your life and will find you maybe on a new journey.
I'm also wondering about your Mom and if she is still quilting or lives near? I hope all is well in that area.

I have a friend who makes mostly tops and doesn't quilt them or have them quilt as she likes piecing. I like doing my quilting (not queen or king size) quilts. I just do a little at at time and don't put myself on a deadline. I had enough of those when I was working. I find my energy level is a lot lower and slower now so I have to make myself not do as much or I will burn out quickly.
I have way more fabrics than I'll ever use and it can get overwhelming to me. It kinda reminds me that my time on this planet is limited and I better get busy doing something.
Please let us know on the board if you find yourself re-motivated or not as to what you have decided to do. I find myself worrying about people on the board with different situations they have posted and we never hear what they finally decide and that may of course be beyond their control...
Concerned,
quiltjoey....