Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
re-attaching leaders >

re-attaching leaders

re-attaching leaders

Old 10-27-2014, 10:50 AM

Default re-attaching leaders

I recently purchased a used long arm frame. The leaders with velcro had been detached. My bars do not have the Fabri-fastener feature that has the leader that is rolled in. Can I reuse the Velcro that remains or will I have to remove all the old tape and replace with sticky-back Velcro. OR: Discard the Velcro that goes on the pole and just tape the remaining velcro with leader to the pole with duct tape or such?

Thanks for any suggestions. J
Old 10-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

Hi and welcome to the board. I guess it's a judgment call on your part. If the Velcro is straight and not coming loose anywhere, I would just reuse it. Just try it with your new leaders. You can always replace it in the future, but you might not need to.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Hi and welcome to the board. I guess it's a judgment call on your part. If the Velcro is straight and not coming loose anywhere, I would just reuse it. Just try it with your new leaders. You can always replace it in the future, but you might not need to.
I agree. Try it before you take the old ones off.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:01 PM

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry I didn't make my post clear. I am not planning on replacing the leaders as they appear to be brand new. One Velcro strip is still attached to the leader. The other strip of Velcro needs to be re-attached to the take-up bar. I read in another group after I posted here and it was suggested that I use 3M tape. That will be my first attempt. Again, thanks....jo
Old 10-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

I would try the Velcro first. Mine are duct-taped on at the moment, but I plan to try Velcro next time (assuming there will be one eventually). Velcro gives you more options for adjustment if the leaders stretch or distort over time. That's what happened to the canvas leaders that came with my used frame, so I ended up making new ones. Went with duct tape because that's what had been used before but, if it had been Velcro, I definitely would have tried that first.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:41 AM

I just got a launch pad frame and they say just to duct tape the leaders on the poles…. it seems to be working fine for me.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:18 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. Because I still have the velcro strip stuck onto the leader, adding the duct tape over that might be a bit bulky. Anyway, I contacted the Grace Co. who made the leaders and they offered to sell me just the loop strip that goes on the bar so that I can still use the leader with that strip in tact. Price was very reasonable. I hope this will solve my problem and end the thread Jo in MD