Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In trouble. Need ideas to help use these up! 2.5" strips >

In trouble. Need ideas to help use these up! 2.5" strips

In trouble. Need ideas to help use these up! 2.5" strips

Old 10-30-2014, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
the first place i look for inspiration when it comes to scraps is http://quiltville.com/
Bonnie's scrappy trip around the world is all 2.5 strips.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:06 AM
Suz

Start using them as "leaders and enders" by sewing the 1/4" seam allowance. Later, press and then join them to make long strips. In a recent quilt magazine, either American Patchwork or McCalls, there was a whole quilt made from 1" finished squares. There was a slightly shirred strip across the quilt which added some interest about every 10-12 rows. I don't think I would go the 1" finished route, however, 2" finished might work for me and make something smaller than a full-sized top. Also, the squares were offset one row to the next which would help w/bulk. In other words, one row would start w/a full square, the second w/half square.

Meanwhile, I find my mags and see which one shows this quilt as I know I have it marked.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by craftyheart2 View Post
Hi Phranny

The 1st quilt you posted is mine. It was actually made from 3.5 x 2 inch pieces but you could make it from 4.5 x 2.5 inch pieces.
Thank you craftyheart! It is a wonderful scrappy you made. I saved your picture for future inspiration.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Their are lots and lots of quilts that could be made with your scraps. Look for scrap quilt books. Google them and see the endless possibilities.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:49 AM

I don't have as many as you but I just finished a charity quilt and I used the 2.5 inch squares to make a border. It really came out great and I used up about 200 of them. It looks like you have a long way to go. Sometimes I don't use a pattern but do something simple like a "9" patch. Then put them into a quilt. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
If I had all those strips I know exactly what I'd make -- I love this http://www.modabakeshop.com/2012/10/...ven-quilt.html
I agree with Cedar. I made one of these and it goes quickly and is fun to make. Once you get used to what you are doing it's a matter of making accurate cuts. (Ask me how I know! )
Old 10-30-2014, 06:08 AM

Bonnie Hunter with Quiltville has a lot of free patterns on her website, plus quite a few books (ask me how I know?) that you can use up a ton of those scraps!! Another thing, Judy Niemeyer has some patterns that call for 2 1/2 inch strips, like Weeping Willow quilt and Willow bedrunner, plus some of her other patterns. If it were me, I'd sort the scraps into light, medium and dark so they will be ready for use.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:09 AM

I am using some scraps for fabric scrap wreaths. Something to keep my hands busy while watching TV. You cut the 2.5" in half then into 6" pieces for that. Just a thought!!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 AM

Someone showed a quilt made of all strips of your size just sewn together in the strips. Alternated colors and it was really pretty. The girls who made it said it used lots of the strips.
Strip piecing is always good;you can do s much with it.
Good luck! Mariah
Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 AM

When im done with making a quilt, i cut scraps up jut like youve done. It sure makes it earier to make a quick quilt. However i stand the squares up in shoeboxes so they dont need to be ironed.
One of my favote pattern is the one mentioned by bradysquilt. Lots free patterns online, choose one that appeals to you.
i chain sew row after row. That allows me to be scrappy and yet not have matching squares next to each other. Don't forget, both sides could be scrappy quilts. That way you dont have to buy backs. How about squares one side and strips on other side. Or say cool colors one side, warm colors on opposite side.
Look forward o seeing what you do with them. Judi