Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone done this in paper piecing? >

Has anyone done this in paper piecing?

Has anyone done this in paper piecing?

Old 11-02-2014, 03:57 PM

I've done this but found it too hard on my hands ... the folding of the paper, that is.

If I wanted to do it again [no] I would use whatever paper I have on hand, not necessarily freezer paper. Then something like cardstock [like what those political ads that are mailed to you.]
Old 11-02-2014, 07:01 PM

I used this method on most of the blocks for my Dear Jane quilt. I traced each block from the book - that was before I knew freezer paper would go through my copy machine. I'm not a real fan of PP, but this worked well for me.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:23 PM

Several months I posted a link about it. It's called No Tear Paper Piecing.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:22 PM

here is the video that got me to thinking differently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqMiC1_JdqQ. I strongly believe almost any pattern can be done this way...and seeing that the evolving block is supported with the freezer paper until it is all together...bias might not be that critical or am I looking at this the wrong way?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:35 AM

I use this method every time I paper piece and love it. You can use the pattern several times before it will no longer stick, I run my patterns through the printer as well and have had no problems there either. I don't do a lot of paper piecing but this method makes it much more enjoyable for me. Have fun withit!
Old 11-03-2014, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I believe it is called Paperless Paper Piecing. I have used it and I like it. It work especially well if you have the add 1/4 inch ruler with the little inset. When you fold back the pattern along the line, you align the 1/4 inch ruler along the pattern edge and cut the 1/4 inch seam allowance on that last piece. This gives you the correct seam allowance to sew the next piece along.
Exactly right Tartan! It's easy but the ruler is a must!!
Old 11-03-2014, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I love the Freezer paper method of PP. But I did not run any of my FP through a copier. I made multiple patterns by tracing or transferring my pattern to one piece, then adhering several pieces of FP together. You just hit them with the tip of a hot iron and it sticks them together. I usually did 4 at a time with my marked one on top. Then I followed the drawn lines with my sewing machine with no thread in the needle. This not only transferred an accurate pattern to all pieces, it also perforated my fold line so it folded with no effort. I made the below quilt using this method and had no issues with all the bias edges. I found I could reuse a pattern piece about 5 times before it quit sticking. The method is also very thoroughly described in Judy Mathieson's book "Mariner's compass, Setting a new course" which is where I learned the technique from. Oh and I did not use an add a quarter ruler, I just used my regular ruler when trimming. Some of my units were so large that the little add a quarter ruler would have been no help at all when constructing this quilt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dans tats as WIP.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	497604  
Old 11-03-2014, 05:46 AM

Don't you all have a small ruler that has the 1/4" marking on the edge? I sure don't need one more ruler to find a place for.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:47 AM

wow, great quilt, Feline. I think the method works well for the beautiful star and geometric patterns, but it doesn't work for me on the fussier, pictorial blocks. Sometimes the pieces are just so small. A thread's width makes the difference at a crucial seam.

Last edited by DebraK; 11-03-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:55 AM

This is the only way I paper piece. No tearing bits of paper out of seams. AND you can reuse the pattern a few times (if you've used freezer paper, it stays together better). I did Storm at Sea using this method and the points and seams matched perfectly. Some say it makes the pattern bigger but I did not have to adjust the border sizes at all so it couldn't be much bigger than intended. Two essential tools: the quarter-inch edge ruler, and cardstock. Any old magazine postcard will work, using it to fold back the paper along a seam to get it crisp and straight. I used a version of this method: http://www.sewwequilt.com/2011/10/gu...-and-look.html