Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Computer quilting >

Computer quilting

Computer quilting

Old 11-12-2014, 04:10 PM

If only computerized quilting produced perfect reproductions! It isn't that easy, not by a long shot.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:14 PM

I can tell that you have never quilted using a computerized system! That's ok. Everyone of us is different in ability, creativity, talent, tools, patience and preference in how to accomplish a task.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:31 PM

I'm curious about how your brother feels about music created on a synthesizer. My husband has one and enjoys it, and I kid him that it's fake music!

Clearly, the 'methodogy' argument applies in almost ever aspect of our lives. I love and treasure hand crafted quilts, but hand quilting is beyond my ability for a number of reasons. So I have a computerized quilting system, and I do what I do. My quilting is not perfect by a long shot and I have found that using the same quilting pattern on two different quilts yields different results. Let's just say that perfection is not in my quilting vocabulary!

However, I'm ok with that because without my computerized system, none of my quilts would be quilted. I'd just have a bunch of tops sitting in a closet, and they'd probably wind up at Goodwill after I died.

I have made my own quilting motifs/designs, but, honestly it's a ton of work. I'm retired and decided I didn't want to work that hard, so now I buy patterns.

However, most of my quilt tops are made without benefit of a pattern. That's where the real fun of quilting is for me!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:52 PM

If I could afford a computerized LA, I would have one. I do DSM quilting but it is hard sometimes and not nearly as pretty as the ones I have paid to have LAed. I would rather have my iPhone than to be on a dial, party line phone! I would rather use my electric stove than the old wood stoves. So, if I can afford it, I will pay to have my tops quilted by some else. At 71, I don't have years and years left to sit and hand sew. The fabrics now are too beautiful and a top can be made so easily on an electric machine so I try to make as many as I can. I cannot imagine making a king size quilt from cutting, to piecing, to sandwiching, to quilting by hand!!! Time is too short and so many quilt tops to be made!!! Like the Nike logo, "Just do it"; anyway, anyhow... imho
Old 11-12-2014, 06:10 PM

Well perhaps my comment will be construed as throwing gas on a fire but I do want to comment.

It is personal choice. Also, there seems to be agreement that there should be a separate category for computerized quilting. I completely agree. Additionally if I were quilting for a livelihood I think having one machine to crank out pantos by computer would be a good time saver.

Where I take issue are the posts about how hard it is to use the computerized systems. I get it. I am sure that it is a lot of work. IMHO it does not compare to someone who has learned to free motion, has practiced and learned to draw motifs, someone who is constantly trying new fills or designs and figuring out the path to do it in a continuous motion as much as possible.

I have learned to use a word processing program but that does not make me a writer.

Another point I take issue with is people who are complaining that it is like comparing paper piecing to regular patchwork. No, it isn’t. Your sewing machine doesn’t have a stitch that robotically follows your instructions and paper pieces in quantities after you set it to go.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 PM

Aren't there enough people in the world belittling what we do in this life, without it happening in our own craft? I'm not coming to your house yanking your quilt from your hands to "heaven forbid" computerize quilt it. I provide a quality service at a reasonable price to those who desire it and for myself. I love working with clients to select just the right pattern and threads that will result in the artistic picture they have in their minds of their finished quilt. When I have time I do charity quilts for free. I am not "cheating" and I am just as artistic as any other quilter in my chosen methods of quilting. It hurts when people say it's cheating or not as authentic as freehand quilting. Why are we hurting each other with this when people are being beheaded in other countries for doing what they feel is right. Let's start encouraging and enjoying our creative freedom in all its forms.

Last edited by Silver Needle; 11-12-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:59 AM

When you use a computerized quilting machine it can involve all the things Pagzz mention above. It depends again on the skill of the operator. it also depends on if it is custom quilting or an edge to edge. So it is not an apples to apples comparison but there are people that are better at it then others. Having a computer on your longarm or sewing machine doesn't instantly make you successful or good at doing it. it is still a learning process that is easier for some and harder for others. And like anything else, you get better with practice. So the part I have issue with is that it doesn't involve learning and skill. I wish! I might pay more for that feature.

Even doing an edge to edge is a learning process. Thread breaks, things happen and you have to learn what to do and how to fix it. Over time you get better at it.

I do both free motion quilting and use my computer. Most of the time it is easier depending on the design to just do it by hand. So practicing drawing and learning new designs is still part of my process, but if a quilter is only doing quilting using their computer I think that is awesome!

I agree with Cheryl, why are we always putting down others for how they do stuff. It has happened in every art form that I have done. I quilt for pleasure. I like looking at others quilts no matter the technique or skill level. Everything we do takes practice and skill to learn to do well. Why is one thing labeled "better" than another.

I have tried teaching people to use the computerized quilting machine and it is just not that easy. Like everything else, it is easier over time, but it does allow you to get ahead start and be successful sooner.

I admire those that are really good at free motion quilting and I equally admire those that are really good at using their computer to quilt. I don't feel that I am really good at either of those.

We have a longarm quilter in town that only use her machine to do computerized designs. She has done some beautiful custom quilting on it. One quilt took her 25 hours to do. I can't do that. I would be frustrated before it was over. But I sure do admire her talent for being able to do it!

Also I think an edge to edge with a computer or free hand is equally beautiful! But I personally don't desire to do an edge to edge free motion I paid good money for my computer to do it!
Old 11-13-2014, 05:21 AM

Regardless of anyone’s opinion I am not trying to engage in a “put down”. I am expressing my opinion. There are some givens in that all machine quilters have to load a quilt carefully, remove stitches at times, deal with tension issues etc. Many quilters do charity quilts. Many quilters can rival computer-aided quilters in their expertise and vice a versa.

Many of the comments in this thread are from people defending their use of computers, am I supposed to interpret that as a put down of me?

An acquaintance of mine bought a longarm with Statler Stitcher about 6 months after I purchased my longarm. She and I had a few discussions about this as I have always maintained that I wanted to “master” this on my own and didn’t want a computerized system. I know she was quilting for others and doing a good job within 2 weeks of setting up her system. Reading machine quilting forums it is obvious that some people start without a computer then later added it.

All three of the above scenarios are people who love quilting and produce quality work. So leaving out any feelings of being “put down” do you who own a computerized system feel that your work should be judged in shows as a separate category such as “computer-aided” or not?
Old 11-13-2014, 06:03 AM

Sorry Pagzz I didn't mean to upset you. Forgive me. I didn't think that you were putting us down. It was a general statement. It was not directed at anyone in particular. That is the problem with writing sometimes, it doesn't always get the message across right.

No I don't think they should be judged in the same category. By the way, many of us that have computers on our machines felt the same way as others about them before we got them. You just don't know until you try something new and if you don't want to that is fine to.