Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread preference for sewing hexagons >

Thread preference for sewing hexagons

Thread preference for sewing hexagons

Old 11-14-2014, 01:57 AM

Default Thread preference for sewing hexagons

I am doing EPP (large hexagons - 4-inch sides) for the first time and so far, my stitches are showing a little (on the front after it's done) and it just doesn't look very nice. I have been using 60 wt. thread (Bottom Line) and doing a whip stitch. What do you think about using Invisifill 100 wt. thread for this process? Is it just that I need more practice so the stitches won't look so wonky. Have any of you used the Ladder Stitch method? I am loving the project and really want to be pleased with it when it is done. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:26 AM

I am experimenting too! I think the old adage about "kissing a lot of frogs to find your prince" applies. You can read blogs and it seems everyone recommends all kinds of things - I think it is a case of finding what makes you happy by trying a variety of things. You have picked a fun project for sure!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:14 AM

If you are stitching together by hand (?) try using a whip stitch on the diagonal, it will show less on the other side. I also use a thread that will blend in with the background of the color hexie I'm sewing.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:22 AM

I always use a ladder stitch and much prefer it to a whip stitch, which was the way I originally learned. You rarely ever see any of your stitches. My grown daughter even brought me a well-loved huge teddy bear she's had since she was a baby that had lost about half the stitches around the neck and used a ladder stitch for that and you couldn't see them at all. I even use a ladder stitch for binding my quilts because it's so neat.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

I use thin waxed beading thread. Just keep sewing them, you will get better as you go.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I do the ladder stitch too but I have over the years used the vinyl hexagons and you can sort of stitch more toward the back side edge. But your stitch will always show some what, even if you use the really fine silk thread. I know some who uses thread that matches. Sometimes I am able to color the white thread using Pigma markers to get a close match so the thread doesn't show as much. Just have to try various techniques and see what works best for you. Good Luck !
Old 11-14-2014, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use thin waxed beading thread. Just keep sewing them, you will get better as you go.
I use silamide type A thread...so far the best, in my case anyway, and I open the hexies...the one I am attaching to the the one I am attaching to and then whip together.....I think, in my case anyway, when I have then face to face, whip together, then open up there is that nano amount of thread that shows from the fold over, but then I sew side to side stitches are in the back of that hexie....saw it in web somewhere.....tried it...and my preferred way of doing it. But, each has to find what works for them.....
Old 11-14-2014, 05:25 AM

I've not done EPP but for applique I use 100 wt silk thread in matching colors, it's very strong.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:06 AM

A question for those of you who have actually FINISHED a hexie quilt...after quilting and washing, do some of the original stitches sort of sink in and hide themselves? I'm really hoping the answer is "yes", lol. I'm slowly improving but some of my first hexie flowers show pretty much every stitch.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
A question for those of you who have actually FINISHED a hexie quilt...after quilting and washing, do some of the original stitches sort of sink in and hide themselves? I'm really hoping the answer is "yes", lol. I'm slowly improving but some of my first hexie flowers show pretty much every stitch.
I think the stitches do sort of sink into the fabric after washed. I've completed and washed 2 GFG, and some stitches may show a bit, but who looks for them? I surly don't! Matching colors of thread does work sometimes, but if you are stitching a dark or med. dark hexie to a lighter, it's pretty much impossible to match to both. I've looked "close up" at many EPP quilts on line, and most have a few stitches showing. I think it's something we just have to live with! Some folks use the ladder stitch, and I can see where the stitches won't show so much. You may want to try that.