Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Is there any one doing them by rotary cutting? or at least for the most part?
Old 01-03-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ladybugnana
Originally Posted by kluedesigns
Originally Posted by BlueChicken
Originally Posted by knitpurlgrrl
Originally Posted by kluedesigns
Originally Posted by knitpurlgrrl
Is it possible the the files can be made into PDFs?
which files?
The first three files that list the fabrics and notions, directions, and different levels.

I have a mac not a pc and I don't have word.
Here you go :-)
you are such a love thank you for doing this

{{{kisses}}}
Is it possible that I could also get these on PBDF? I didn't see a link. I would be morst interested!
I don't know what that abbreviation is, sorry. Can you elaborate?
Old 01-03-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
I've done a couple by rotary cutting... particularly ones with nine patches in them.

The tricks I've found are starch.... starch those suckers till they're cardboard.... and sew slowly with a smaller stitch than usual. As long as your 1/4 inch seam is good, it works. :-)

What am I saying... you're a machine cutebuns, you don't need tips! ;-)
Old 01-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

I was just wondering who else was trying it, I actually don't use starch, I hate it, I just cut and go, I find that some of the measurements are a bit off, at least in some of the ones that I have done, I just finished my last one for the week, I am waiting for more fabric to start the second one, I will see about joining the pictures to post them, I have just the triangle to take a picture of.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:14 PM

I did some rotary piecing, and some pp.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

I hope to stay as far away from the pping as I can, It just isn't something that I am all that interested in doing, so far so good, though I am working on more than one project so I get practice on the one set before doing the next bit, makes it easier to see how well it goes together.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:11 PM

I hope to stay as far away from the pping as I can, It just isn't something that I am all that interested in doing, so far so good, though I am working on more than one project so I get practice on the one set before doing the next bit, makes it easier to see how well it goes together.
Cutebuns Rhonda is doing a cut down method on the tutes page you might find you like that method better. Just a thought.
Cher
:thumbup:
Old 01-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

I am very familiar with Rhonda and her cut down method, I don't actually have a problem with the rotary cutting, and the pieceing of small pieces, thank you though for the suggestion, I was just trying to see if if there were many that were not using one of the two methods, I started doing them before Christmas and have 10 done using the rotary cutting method. So far so good, I have a rep for using small pieces around the board, I did a OBW in the summer that the blocks ended up around 2 inches, a few friends keep giving me a hard time about it, I was trying to do 4 quilts in two weeks and that is what I did for the second one, it was like I couldn't possibly use big pieces two quilts in a row, and it turns out that I couldn't, I did get the 4 quilts done though,

Coleen
Old 01-03-2010, 05:15 PM

isn't that funny and I would rather do PPing. I can do rotary cutting but it is too much thinking for me. I guess I am a PP girl.

Coleen? I should probably know but OBW?
Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
Originally Posted by bchuggins
I'm jumping ahead with this question - How are the sashing strips sewn on. In long strips across the entire row? I was thinking it might be easier to sew the strip on the bottom and along the right side of each block... then when we sew the blocks together the sashing will already be done for most of the quilt. We would still have to sew the top row of sashing and the first block of each row would need one strip on the left side. Does this babbling make sense?
For a plain sashing, I would sew only on one side of each block at this point, say the right side. Then when you sew each block together you can add the bottom sashing in one long piece. It would save a bit of fabric.

But... what you have suggested is correct, if you do the bottom and right side on each block, at the end you'll just be sewing them together. I'm doing a pieced sashing and am doing exactly that for several reasons.... so I don't have a huge pile of sashings to make at the end, and so I'm forced to take my time doing just a couple with every block. When I start chain piecing and doing huge numbers I stop concentrating and start rushing.
Yours is going to be just beautiful! I think I want to have a little square at the corners separating the 1/2 inch sashing strips so I might try adding the right and then bottom sashing with the square. I'm so comfortable with paperpiecing the squares that I don't want to screw up with the sashing.