Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Metallic thread >

Metallic thread

Metallic thread

Old 11-20-2014, 06:58 PM

I also put the spool of thread farther away from the machine, usually in a container behind my machine.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:05 AM

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful advice...Getting ready to begin my project and hoping for the best.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:03 AM

I have better luck with thread like this if I put it on a separate spool holder away from the machine. This lessens the tendency to curl up and snap. The other tips about tension are really important also. Play with a sample at different speeds and tension to see what works best with your machine. Needles are also important. Have fun!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Z

Superiorthread.com has a good discussion on metallic thread.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by smc53 View Post
Thank you so much for all of the wonderful advice...Getting ready to begin my project and hoping for the best.
Looking forward to seeing your progress! Use a "metallic" needle as the eye of the needle and groove behind the needle is created special to avoid shredding of your metallic thread. I highly recommend Gutterman's poly wrapped metallic. It is readily available, affordable, and I find it easy to sew with.

Another thing I didn't notice mentioned in the above comments was to use a "grippy" thread in your bobbin. Generally I use a good cotton in a complementary color to the metallic I'm using - they help keep good tension when sewing and prevent looping.

I hope this is helpful! Good luck!
Old 11-22-2014, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I have learned that not all metallic threads are equal.
They each have their redeeming qualities ... and some are outright horrid.

That being said, I haven't figured them out to the best yet ... and certainly am not a master.

My machine has a little silicone applicator pad that you run the thread thru, and that seems to help.
Also, threading it differently (as per the manual) is important too.

However, what I have found is that the thread seems to need it as it comes off the spool, as it twists and turns and can tangle so terribly. I seem to recall reading here on the QB that there is a liquid product you drop directly onto the spool to help out with this. Who knows more about this? ... and can help me? PLEASE! and THANKS!!
Old 11-22-2014, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I have learned that not all metallic threads are equal.
They each have their redeeming qualities ... and some are outright horrid.

That being said, I haven't figured them out to the best yet ... and certainly am not a master.

My machine has a little silicone applicator pad that you run the thread thru, and that seems to help.
Also, threading it differently (as per the manual) is important too.

However, what I have found is that the thread seems to need it as it comes off the spool, as it twists and turns and can tangle so terribly. I seem to recall reading here on the QB that there is a liquid product you drop directly onto the spool to help out with this. Who knows more about this? ... and can help me? PLEASE! and THANKS!!
As mentioned above, a few lines down the spool with SEWER'S AID will usually solve the problems with metallics. It is a tiny bottle with tip and does excellent job.
, altho I've read somewhere that you should not use it too often or too much because it is not good for the "mechanics of modern machines. Does anyone know more about this "caution"?
Old 11-22-2014, 07:17 AM

Put your thread as far away from the machine as you can. Iput mine on the floor then up through the thread stand then to my machine. The thread needs to unwind as much as possible before going through the machine. I also loosen the tension and had the sewer's aid on hand, but did not need it. Good Luck.