Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know? >

What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know?

What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know?

Old 11-21-2014, 12:06 PM

Your area Child Protective Services would probably need them for foster kids. Our guild is donating to them now.

judee
Old 11-21-2014, 12:35 PM

Every year we give lap quilts to several nursing homes here plus a few to schools to use when kids get sick and have to have a lie down.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:15 PM

I make quilts for The Linus Connection, comfort quilts for babies to teens; all of the quilts stay in central Texas.
www.thelinusconnection.org.
Thank You Quilters(vets/wounded warriors).
Please PM me for more info.
Sharon Weaver in Texas
Old 11-21-2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 View Post
Hi,

I'm interested in making lap sized (or even small throw sized) quilts for a charity, but do not know of a charity that needs them. I checked with our local cancer center, and they don't need any quilts. I just want to be able to make some lap sized quilts to decrease my stash and enjoy making smaller projects.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
I know 2 people that would love to have one in the nursing home and I could pay for the shipping and we have a homeless shelter not too far from me but not sure they would be appreciated. One of my friends just got through making pads for homeless to sleep on. they were made out of plastic bags. I told her I thought those bags would be to cold to sleep out in the cold on and she said well other people around can bring some cover. I told her I wished I had extra cover to do just that. I think it is really a nice thing to do for others. I haven't learned to sew that good yet. I want to finish a quilt for my son for Christmas. My machine is messing up. He spent 21 years in the military and served in Iraq and got shot down and they ate out of garbage cans till someone found them and resqued them. I am fixing him a red white and blue quilt. I made my daughter one last year with the help of one of my sewing friends.

Last edited by Poodles; 11-21-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by judee0624 View Post
Your area Child Protective Services would probably need them for foster kids. Our guild is donating to them now.

judee
My daughter has had foster children for several years. DCS takes them to wal-mart at Christmas and buys a few things for Christmas. But never a blanket or quilt. I think my daughter is on her 13th child. She is picking up her very first one she got at 6 days old and she keeps him on week ends and helps the people that are rasing him. Her little foster girl is fixing to go visit someone today for the first time and they are going to put her with them if she will stay as they are supposed to be kin to her. She loves my daughter and hangs onto her all the time. This is gonna be hard for her and my daughter. I hope you all have a good DCS in your area.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:26 PM

Check with Local Salvation Army Office, local Battered Woman's Shelter ( often need for both adults and Children) ,Department of Human Services,
Foster Homes /for Kids/Teens removed from their Homes. Local Church Clothing Ministry's that give away free Clothing etc
Veteran's Home or Contact local Veteran's Administration Office.., Donate to local Police or State Highway Patrol Offices.. They might want to keep a couple in the Trunk of their Car for Kids or Adults.. Local Nursing home or Assisted Living Home, School for Developmentally Disabled Children and Adults... And the Local Red Cross or Fire Dept. or Sheriff office.
Local Hospital.

Last edited by Jean in Ohio13452; 11-21-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:04 PM

Veterans hospital!!
Linus
Old 11-21-2014, 03:16 PM

Our guild makes and donates to the NICU units at the local hospital. They are 36" square. They always need them.
We donate about 25-30 per month. So you might want to look in tat directions.
We also donate to the local VA hospital onc a year and sometimes it is 10 quilts. Nusing Homes for he wheel chair patients, usually those are 45" square.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:21 PM

Sometimes the police department requests them for accident victims. I donate them to the local hospital as we are on the Mexican border and the mothers sneak across the border to give birth to the anchor babies
Old 11-21-2014, 05:27 PM

You could contact any of the area Dialysis centers. When mom was going she was always chilled by the time her treatment was over. We finally started taking a throw with us. I have since made several that they can offer to the clients. I always make a tote bag so they can carry it with them. I also donate used paperback books for them to read during treatments.