Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 11-22-2014, 10:05 AM

With the grand illusion try to look for the differences. Did someone change the pink to red? Black to purple?
Color of the constant. Yellow or something else? The same color for the blue, pink or green instead of a variety? Change the brights to lights? Solids or patterns? Add a border or take away a border? Try to see what people are doing to make it their own. Think of Bonnie's color pallet as only a suggestion and not mandatory. If that doesn't work quit looking at pictures!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:49 AM

Six days left! This is the first year I'm not dreading Thanksgiving. It's just my husband, son and me and I usually spend all day cooking and then am too tired to eat. This year I asked what the most important components of the meal are. My husband? turkey and cranberry sauce. My son? Turkey and stuffing. So, I'll add crock pot sweet potatoes and green beans for me, then will have lots of time that day to iron/starch my fabrics. I have a friend that is insisting I go shopping with her, but she won't be ready until after 10 on friday morning, so I should be able to get a lot done that morning! I'm so excited to hear/see what people are working on, answers to questions that I'm sure I'll have, etc.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:23 AM

would be great to spend all my time with my Children, Grandchildren, and GreatGrandDaughter.....but (sigh) since that is not going to happen I am really glad to have this new mystery......and the other thing is when I am tired and want to rest my fabric is just fine with resting also. When I am really into a project my fabric is right there ready to play !
Old 11-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
Six days left! This is the first year I'm not dreading Thanksgiving. It's just my husband, son and me and I usually spend all day cooking and then am too tired to eat. (snip)
This is why I do the majority of my cooking prep the day before. I take off work that day so I can prepare all the casseroles (sweet potato, stuffing, green bean, squash) the day before. Then Thanksgiving morning I put the turkey in to roast at around 9 or 10, and go watch the parades on tv! When the turkey comes out I put all those casseroles in to cook for an hour, and make only mashed potatoes and gravy while they are cooking. Last 15 minutes in the oven is for rolls. I have a system! Work hard the day before and you can cruise on the day "of". I love having the work done beforehand. AND leftovers for the rest of the weekend!
Old 11-22-2014, 01:46 PM

Yes, Emma, I live fairly close to Marshall's. In fact, it's the nearest "big" town to us for shopping so I have a great excuse to go there whenever I want to. Add to that the fact that I have a wholesale buying account there and it's big trouble for me if I don't control myself!
Old 11-22-2014, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by dianeinsterling View Post
Hi SueSew I'll probably use the multicolor fabric for sashing or borders if the quilt has any. I happened to have it in my stash and it has all of the colors....
Same with my final pick.............
Old 11-23-2014, 07:47 AM

I wonder what quilt historians in a 100 years will think of BH's designs. I would bet that they earn a whole category unto themselves. Just as the newspaper patterns earned a special place in quilters hearts I think Bonnie's have already done that and in years to come will become part of quilting history lore.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:48 AM

Thanksgiving is going to be quiet for us too this year. For health reasons, our usual group of friends will not be able to join in. I guess it goes with being 'a certain age' that it starts to happen but it has hit us hard this year. The mysteries and quilting in general are a quiet place for me where I can focus on something that takes my whole attention, and I'm thankful I have that. So, for us it's turkey & stuffing, cranberry sauce and some sort of veggie just to say I did. Pretty simple.

I'm not second guessing my choices, still going with just one fabric for each color, but I'm so envious of all the beautiful shades you folks are showing. I love these colors.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:57 AM

This is the first Thanksgiving that won't be hosted at our house, and I have to say I'm kind of relieved. I have a couple of assignments to bring, familiar dishes, and that will be so much easier than orchestrating the whole schlemiel. I'm kind of envious when I read about organized people like you, sewbizgirl; I could never seem to avoid everything devolving into chaos as mealtime approached, no matter how well I organized things ahead of time. Ah, well.

I am also loving the colors we're working with, and it's so much fun to see everyone's fabrics.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I'm kind of envious when I read about organized people like you, sewbizgirl; I could never seem to avoid everything devolving into chaos as mealtime approached, no matter how well I organized things ahead of time. Ah, well.
Me? An organized person? Aha ha haha ha ha ha!!!

And I just read on WebMD this morning that everything I make is in the "foods to be avoided during the holidays" list, due to high calorie count! WHATEVER. It's Thanksgiving.

Enjoy your 'easy' Thanksgiving, joe'smom, and everyone else too!