Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Job??? >

New Job???

New Job???

Old 11-23-2014, 05:36 AM

In my area, to finish the binding, sewing it on the quilt and hand finishing, the usual price is by the liner inch. Here they charge from 10-25 per liner inch. I have done one binding for a quilter and it was scallop. I cut a bias and pressed her binding and it came to almost $50. She was so happy for the work she paid the price. Whoever had done her quilting did not do bindings.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 AM

a friend of mine does this using customer's fabric - seems like she said 20 cts per inch but not sure...I usually do machine binding on mine but have some I may end up doing hand binding. I pay another friend for longarm quilting but have only paid for hand binding once and that's because it was my first round robin and we had a small show to display all the round robin quilts that year and I wanted it finished and didn't have time to do it myself. otherwise I would have to be a really big hurry and just want hand binding to spend money on the service. It's not my favorite activity but dont hate it enough to pay for it.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:17 AM

That sounds great BUT cost of shipping from our of state is going to be prohibit
Old 11-23-2014, 11:14 AM

I was hoping to stay pretty local so drop off and pick up wouldn't be much of a problem. I'm not sure I could handle a big volume of quilts to be done.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:24 PM

I had a Patchwork shop 7 years ago and I provided a quilt binding service for customers. Back then, I charged $A2.00 per lineal foot + cost of binding fabric if the customer wanted me to provide it. I hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:56 PM

Several years ago I was visiting with a gal who worked at a LQS which had lots of well-to-do customers and professional women who regularly shopped there. With the owners permission she developed a shopping, cutting, binding service for these women. They hired her privately and she purchased everything in the shop. She might put together a "kit" for them with cutting all done and labeled. She sewed on and tacked down binding for them. She basted for handquilting. She said they had $$$ but limited time so they paid her to do the tedious parts of quilting. She did very well.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:05 PM

Interesting idea, and some good advice here. One thing no one mentioned, I think, is what about really out of whack quilts? If there is no reasonable way to make a quilt square, what do you do? I've seen some, and in fact made some myself, where something was wrong in the middle of the quilt somewhere so "squaring it off" would mean cutting into some of the blocks along the edge. I'd be afraid to work on something like that, and you might not realize it when you first take the job. Just curious how you'd handle that.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:22 PM

I wouldn't charge by the hour either. I would charge by linear inch like these people.
http://www.aquiltnhand.com/binding_service.htm
Old 11-23-2014, 07:49 PM

One LA I work with charges $.25 per inch for binding and that's for attaching the front by machine and sewing the back by hand. A quilt that's 65x45 would run $55.00 for binding, at least in our neck of the woods. I've never had her do it because while I cannot do the machine quilting myself, I can do my own binding and enjoy doing it. :-)
Old 11-23-2014, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Many long armers offer binding, the pricing is usually per inch. If you google 'quilt binding prices' you can get an idea of what others charge for this specific service. Keep in mind that prices may vary by geographic location.
If you do decide to proceed, make sure that you develop some sort of written work order: size of quilt, binding style (if applicable) color of thread estimated cost, estimated completion, who provided the binding fabric etc. When the quilt is dropped off, make 2 copies, keep one with the quilt & the other goes to the customer.
Many quilters do hate this step! It's worth at least investigating. You could get some brochures from local long arm quilters, and offer to work with the ones that don't offer this service.
I agree with PaperPrincess on how to charge ie per inch as being a beginner I would question the per hour rate, you don't really know how many hours were actually spent on it. So having a set charge for per inch and whether you or customer supplies the binding decides the price.