Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a new iron -- any suggestions? >

I need a new iron -- any suggestions?

I need a new iron -- any suggestions?

Old 11-24-2014, 05:51 PM

I have the black and decker classic. $25. Love it. Bought one for DIL. She loves it too. Nothing fancy.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:08 PM

I love my Rowenta. TONS of steam, no spitting. But as Lynnie mentioned, there have been lots of threads on irons so do a search for more information.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:18 AM

I had 2 R0wentas that went to the garbage as they both leaked and stained I was told you could not leave water in them all day and the company would not stand behind them so now I use T-Fal doubt if I would ever use anything else as the steam is very good much better than the Rowenta ever was but mine is an older one
Old 11-26-2014, 07:01 AM

I love my Rowenta. I have had two, first one last 15 years, this one is on it's 7 year and still going strong. It is heavy and I love that.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

When Walmart has the $6 irons I buy several at a time. I get a year's use out of one if not no big loss. And it's easy to have them in my stash to grab one when I need a quilting gift. I have a nice Rowenta but use the cheap iron more.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I have a B & D Classic, and I love it. Had it several years. Cost about $30. Last one lasted as long as well.
I've thought about trying and Oliso, but can't spend the $$....
Old 11-26-2014, 08:15 AM

I must admit I have to check out the iron by holding it before I make a decision. My current iron is a Black and Decker, which has been nice but it seems to take forever to heat up. Not sure if that is by design or just a quirk for this iron. But the iron had to be comfortable in my hand and I want some weight to it. They seem to be getting light with each year. But in 42 years of marriage I have only owned 3 irons. And the only reason I got new irons was because they weren't cleaning up as they should.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:17 AM

I recently bought the same iron, and I love it. I have had many Rowenta's that leaked from day one, so I will never buy an expensive iron again. I'm probably going to buy another T-Fal just to have on hand. It has 1735 watts so it gets very hot.

"I recently bought a T-Fal iron from Wal-mart (around $35)I think it may have been the model below this one -it is blue for my sewing group. Since it is up there I don't have the model #, but we have all been extremely happy with it."
Old 11-26-2014, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by winia View Post
The only suggestion I would have is buy cheap. I have four expensive Rowentas, and they all leak. I would not buy an expensive iron again. They work, but I can't use the steam part.
I have to say that all Rowentas don't leak or spit....I have had mine since 1998 and it is still going strong. I love a heavy iron for pressing and it fits the bill.
I have a fairly new Black and Decker for camp and so far it has been good.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
When Walmart has the $6 irons I buy several at a time. I get a year's use out of one if not no big loss. And it's easy to have them in my stash to grab one when I need a quilting gift. I have a nice Rowenta but use the cheap iron more.
Be careful with these. I've had 2 of them, the first one quit heating up after about a year, then the second one did too so I got brave and took it apart to see why. The whole inside of it was a melted blob of plastic. Good thing I didn't ever put water in it. Now I have an old all steel heavy Sunbeam, no more melting guts for me.

Cari