Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
coats/coats & clark thread >

coats/coats & clark thread

coats/coats & clark thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Interesting info. Makes sense. Thsnk you for posting it.
My pleasure

Originally Posted by Needles View Post
When the polyester thread came out, you know that old 5 for a $1 stuff, she said DON'T USE IT.
As with many things, the newer processes with poly thread are way different than the older processes. You may be surprised by some of the newer quality poly threads. Many Long Arm quilters use Poly exclusively. There are some really spectacular choices these days. It's a really exciting time to be a quilter.

Originally Posted by jeanne49 View Post
I know thread can drive us all a little crazy, according to every thread company, their thread is the best on the market. I say, try something, and if you like it who cares what someone else says or thinks.
Which makes sense. I don't know of any company who's ever said "Eh,.. our stuff's OK..." I agree, the best thing is try it all, decide what you like and then stock up. I have so many brands here because I have almost no preferences as far as quilting threads. I use Aurifil for most piecing but it turns out I just have to like the look of it on the quilt to use a thread. I have Superior, Aurifil, Glide, Clover, Robison Anton, Connecting threads, Wonderfil, "Paradise Dreamz", Mettler and Gutermann (I don't like this thread as a rule - the poly is lintier than any cotton I've ever used and actually cut the guides on my longarm, so I won't use it again. In fact I'm using up all of my gutemann on charity quilts and "utility" quilts and won't buy more.)
Old 11-29-2014, 11:35 AM

C & C also has 100% Egyptian cotton..The different color of the spools depicts the different types of thread. There generally is a sign above the thread display telling you what the colors mean...

I don't like the Guuterman thread...I use c & c on all my machines, Viking, Singer, Pfaff, Janome...only once in a great while will I have spool that has breaking due to some little bumps in the thread and that is because it won't go thru the needle..
Old 11-29-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I liked their cotton/polyester Dual Duty Plus thread better than the all polyester Dual Duty XP thread that seems to have replaced it.
And why did C&C stop making cotton/polyester thread and go to all polyester? I quit buying C&C thread. I don't like polyester thread.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:45 AM

I have a lot of machines and they all do well with C&C and Sulky thread and just about any other thread I use with a few exceptions. My Brother embroidery machine doesn't like Maidera or the embroidery thread Brother inclulded with the machine, my Janome and Kenmore sometimes fuss with the Guttermann.

One thing to watch out for when buying thread is an unevenly wound spool. I needed some C&C specific colors recently and in one color, some of the spools were bad. If the thread isn't completely silky smooth on the spool, no separations, bumps, lumps, gritches, don't buy it. The thread is not wound properly and it will gritch on your machine.

Metallic threads drive me nuts, I have yet to find one that doesn't snag up no matter what I do. It seems the longer they stay on the spool, the more loopy they become so their shelf life is limited. I've switched to the super high sheen embroidery threads when I want that metallic look. I don't get that metallic "reflection" but I do get a noticeably super shiny look.

Last edited by lalaland; 11-29-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:36 PM

I don't use it as my regular thread (prefer #50 for piecing and quilting) but have had no trouble with it, in any of my machines.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:46 PM

The thing about automatic - and I'm not going to go into all of the details on a sewing machine tension, for the most part is NOT automatic. The label is misleading. Average is a better word. Assumption also works if they needed an A word.

Amen!
Old 11-29-2014, 05:49 PM

I have a newer, inexpensive Singer, and it loves Coats and Clark thread. I've tried some high-end threads and did not like the results, so I stick with Coats and Clark.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:57 AM

I have a 2 year old Brother Innovis NX2000 and was told by the dealer to use ONLY Metler thread. (That's the only thread they sell and are the only local place that sells it!) Not wanting to buy this expensive thread I called Customer Service at Brother to ask what they recommend. The rep was quite funny...she said, "Brother makes thread; we would of course like you to use ours!" Since then I use mostly Gutterman Polyester and C&C Dual Duty. Once-in-awhile Connecting Threads cotton. They ALL work well in my machine. CT collects the most lint so I use it less frequently. I haven't been a quilter long enough to know what happens over time to the thread in a quilt that's been washed many times. Any comments on that?
Old 11-30-2014, 07:18 AM

Good thread LoL (pun intended). My Bernina is pretty picky about what goes on top but will let me use C & C in the bobbin. Makes no sense to me, but whatever keeps her happy is what I will feed her. I am going through all my 'before Bernina' thread using it for hand sewing or bobbins only, then it will be Aurifil, Metler, or King Tut for this girl. What baby wants, baby gets! Then we are both happy campers.

It's weird though, I haven't found a monofilament yet that this machine is happy with for FMQ. Any suggestions please let me know. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:24 AM

One last comment (from me) ... The last 3 spools of C&C came to a complete stop when there was about 12 YARDS of thread left on the spool. I was zooming along and singing Christmas carols with my cheap little radio station that plays them 24/7 until Christmas. Anyhow, Next thing I know, my needle is un-threaded, and I have been sewing without thread! (I leave the top of my machine open so I can see what is going on with my thread. I saw I still had thread on the spool.) I went to re-thread my needle, and I couldn't even pull the thread off of the spool. C&C had done something weird with the way they started winding their thread onto the spools. I had to throw them away.

If it was only one, I would shrug and carry on. But, last evening, after it happening three different times, I decided I would not buy any more C&C. Especially since one lady here said it is really more expensive. Just sayin'