Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do u do? >

What do u do?

What do u do?

Old 11-30-2014, 08:53 AM

Default What do u do?

What would u do? My bernina 830 had been in for repair for the last 5 weeks and I am picking it up tue. If it is in its box should I ask if I can try it out to make sure it is all in order as it's such a complicated machine and I'm worried that by taking it apart to put in a new board for the nobs something else might play up or do I trust the fact that he said he tested everything and it's fine now? I don't want to insult him as he's been good but it's the first time I've had dealings with him since I bought it used from his so 7 months ago It's not my local shopwhom I know x
Old 11-30-2014, 08:56 AM

I would definitely take some scrap fabrics to the shop with me and ask for a little corner to set up and "practice" a few things before heading home with it.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Take the project with a few different techniques on it. When my Bernina 440 went to the shop when the timing was off, I brought my BSR because that was what was skipping stitches. Sure enough, it had to stay for a couple more weeks. Try all your stitches just not straight stitching.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:37 AM

I think that is a good idea. It would be a shame to get home and then find a problem
Old 11-30-2014, 09:52 AM

I would try it out and ask him to show you a few of the ins and outs of the machine. It is a complicated machine it wouldn't hurt to get a few pointers from him. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

You bought it used from him 7 months ago and it's been in the shop for 5 weeks? So it worked for 6 months then required more than a month of repair (although some of that time was probably waiting for parts)? I for sure would check it out before you took it home and ask if there is a warranty period. Also have him watch as you thread it and ask how to clean it & oil, if oiling is required. Bring your own fabric and thread and some cookies (biscuits?).
Old 11-30-2014, 10:30 AM

Just say you want to practice a bit to make sure you understand all the settings. Then have a few questions even if you already know the answers. That way it won't seem so much like you're checking his work.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:43 AM

Definitely try out several of the functions... Do not feel bad about taking it out of a box or any other packaging. Typically they return the machine the same way you took it in. Remember you paid for the machine , warranty , or any uncovered repairs. I think you would feel worse if you got it back home and it was not working correctly.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

i'd try it out. brought one of mine yrs ago into a shop. they had it for 8 weeks. I guess they needed a machine to sew on and used mine. anyway, got it back and it didn't work. had to go back again. and, get this, they wanted to chg me for it again. so the fixed it, I tried it out, and left. the repair was over $200. It actually went in for a cleaning. I'd try it out for sure.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:33 PM

The shop shouldn't be offended by you wanting to test it out. The Bernina dealer that I worked for a long time ago, the repairman came in 2 mornings a week so he probably wouldn't even be there when someone came.
I would think that they would want a "happy" customer so they can get repeat business.