Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 12-02-2014, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by vivientan View Post
I'm considering buying an embroidery machine, so I can do monograms and letterings for my Etsy business. Budget is preferably not more than $3000. Heard about the Brother NV1250D, which is great for FMQ too. However, I also heard that the embroidery fonts are rather small, and can't do big monograms. Any comments on this? Or advice on other brands and models which can do big embroidery monograms and is good for FMQ? I thought of Bernina but it's way beyond my budget!

I assume that you are referring to the built-in monogram fonts. You will likely need to buy/donload larger machine embroidery fonts.
sandy
Old 12-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vivientan View Post
I'm considering buying an embroidery machine, so I can do monograms and letterings for my Etsy business. Budget is preferably not more than $3000. Heard about the Brother NV1250D, which is great for FMQ too. However, I also heard that the embroidery fonts are rather small, and can't do big monograms. Any comments on this? Or advice on other brands and models which can do big embroidery monograms and is good for FMQ? I thought of Bernina but it's way beyond my budget!
it depends on what you mean by Small monograms or big monograms. The largest monogram on my Janome MC200e, which is Janomes entry level machine, are about 3" tall when done at their largest setting. my MC350e does them a little larger than that. You can use software to enlarge things or buy larger fonts, but I've found that the monograms in my machines are plenty big enough, even for bath towels and such.

Cari
Old 12-03-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
it depends on what you mean by Small monograms or big monograms. The largest monogram on my Janome MC200e, which is Janomes entry level machine, are about 3" tall when done at their largest setting. my MC350e does them a little larger than that. You can use software to enlarge things or buy larger fonts, but I've found that the monograms in my machines are plenty big enough, even for bath towels and such.

Cari

thanks...i need to explore the built-ins more. I usually go shopping.
sandy
Old 12-04-2014, 06:20 AM

Hello All!
my hubby surprised me with a singer futura xl420 on Black Friday! Still getting used to it as I previously embroidered on my Piaf 7570 (which still sews beautifully but only embroiders when it feels like it).

i have a few questions about needles and bobbins - just to start. I was told that I could only use singer needles and absolutely no prewound bobbins in it. From what I read online it seems that I can use schmetz or organ needles and prewound bobbins as long as they are 15j bobbins.

Doess as anyone have this machine or a similar one in the singer futura line that can help me figure this out?

also, I am searching for a preferably free cutesy baby's first Christmas design.

I have propably thousands of designs but can't seem to find one for my grandnephew.

thanks,
Lisa
Old 12-04-2014, 07:40 AM

This site has lots of free patterns (you can get up to three free ones per week) and many would work, with additional wording.

http://www.embroiderydesigns.com/fre...Text=Christmas
Old 12-09-2014, 08:14 PM

I am new to sewing, quilting and embroidery and have learned A LOT in the last few months. I have made two quilts (among other things) and hand embroidered the labels for them. I am pretty proud of them... Not too bad for a novice. IMO : )

My husband surprised me with a Brother PE-770 last week and I am really excited to play with it. Oh, I have tested out some of the presets, but I really want to make my own Designs. Does anyone have any suggestions on an embroidery or a digitizing software? I have been trying to do some research online, but it is extremely overwhelming and have only managed to confuse myself. LOL

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: I have spent the last two hours reading this thread hoping to find the information, but it is 289 pages long... 289!! I only scratched the surface. 😊

Last edited by Olectra; 12-09-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Olectra View Post
I am new to sewing, quilting and embroidery and have learned A LOT in the last few months. I have made two quilts (among other things) and hand embroidered the labels for them. I am pretty proud of them... Not too bad for a novice. IMO : )

My husband surprised me with a Brother PE-770 last week and I am really excited to play with it. Oh, I have tested out some of the presets, but I really want to make my own Designs. Does anyone have any suggestions on an embroidery or a digitizing software? I have been trying to do some research online, but it is extremely overwhelming and have only managed to confuse myself. LOL

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: I have spent the last two hours reading this thread hoping to find the information, but it is 289 pages long... 289!! I only scratched the surface. 
Check out the free demos for SewArt and SewWrite.

I've recently done similar searching and have been playing with the above programs.

Last edited by Neesie; 12-09-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:03 AM

You Tube has so excellent tutorials.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:03 PM

Thank you Neesie, I will look into those. ��

SS, have been on YouTube. ty : )
Old 12-11-2014, 10:43 AM

I am looking for a frosted white thread (or white metallic) to embroider snowflakes for a quilt. I checked Superior Threads, but didn't see white frosted. Can someone recommend a good brand that would have this type of thread? I have a Bernina 630, and it is temperamental when it comes to metallics. I usually use Superior metallics with no problems.

Thanks for your advice.