Clones from A to Z - update

Old 11-26-2014, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
yes cari, it goes back to the late 1880's.

steve has developed a habit of trying to start arguments with me. I will not go there over the net ..

it's soooooooo uncool to even think of asking to take pic's of an other person property and post on the net.
Say what? We do that all the time here.

Joe
Old 11-26-2014, 08:15 AM
Banned

I really do not want to argue. I do however, want to learn.

I run a travelling show of sewing machines from the 1800's and if there is a whole line of production that I am not aware of I would LOVE to learn about it. I have "American", "Canadian", "German", and "English" made machines, but none from any Asian country that early. Please share.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:27 AM

Just want to say that I really like Toyota machines and would snap one up in a heartbeat - they are so well engineered. I had the good fortune a few years ago to go on an industrial tour for 3 weeks in Japan that was hosted by Toyota - got to tour the different factories of Toyota Industries (so I guess I am a bit biased from my experience there) - learned about their history/dedication, their high standards and expectations - was very impressed with their many products. Before expanding to automotive and other manufacturing including sewing machines they were involved (and still are) in the manufacture of machinery & looms for the textile industry.

http://www.toyota-industries.com/corporateinfo/history/

I have an early Toyota serger that I love and would really like to have more of their sewing machines - have my eye on a '50s machine that recently came up for sale locally - just have to make sure I have the space.
All that said, I am not familiar with any other sewing machine manufacturing in detail, by other Japanese companies.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:06 PM

I didn’t see in the Toyota timeline as to when they farmed their sewing machine manufacturing out to China. Last week I fiddled with a modern (mechanical) sewing machine labeled Toyota that said on its model/serial tag that it was designed in Japan and made in China. It gave the two company names, but I don’t remember what they were. I have no idea what year it was made, but from the looks of it, not long ago.

CD in Oklahoma

Last edited by ThayerRags; 11-26-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post

Joe
(Ssshhh) Don’t tell the moderators. They’re the publishers of this website, and I think that it’s a no-no to publish someone else’s photos without the photo owner's permission. We can post our photos (it doesn’t matter who’s machines, as long it’s our own photos) because we give them permission to publish them when we post our photos, but grabbing a photo from another site and posting it here without the photo owner’s permission is, I believe, violation of copyright.

CD in Oklahoma

Last edited by ThayerRags; 11-26-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Banned

CD,
I think most sm manufacturers have at least some of their machines made in China or Taiwan. New Singers, Vikings and Pfaffs are all made in Shanghai, per the SVP website. Some Janomes and Brothers are made in Taiwan.

Cari
Old 11-26-2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx
yes cari, it goes back to the late 1880's.

steve has developed a habit of trying to start arguments with me. I will not go there over the net ..

it's soooooooo uncool to even think of asking to take pic's of an other person property and post on the net.

Joe
CD,

I did not say anything about posting other peoples photos. I said we ask others to post their photos all the time. There's a big difference there unless they changed the meaning of English words in the last couple hours. Or I somehow completely misunderstood the jist of the conversation.

Joe
Old 11-27-2014, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I think that it’s a no-no to publish someone else’s photos without the photo owner's permission.
CDs right: It's why they closed off the "what are they smoking" thread. Joe's also right: It's not the same as posting pics of someone else's machine that you have taken.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:23 PM

Which Morse do you own? I just bought a Morse Fotomatic (a dual purchase that included a Singer 635 that came without a power cord/foot pedal) online from Goodwill. I found a manual online and some Morse accessories on ebay. I haven't had time to try it out yet.
Luella in Chicago
Old 12-04-2014, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by chicagosewer View Post
Which Morse do you own? I just bought a Morse Fotomatic (a dual purchase that included a Singer 635 that came without a power cord/foot pedal) online from Goodwill. I found a manual online and some Morse accessories on ebay. I haven't had time to try it out yet.
Luella in Chicago
This Morse 200:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]501229[/ATTACH]

I've seen some of the Fotomatics, they're quite nice. Never bought one though.
Also have had to pick up attachments, accessories, and cord sets separate from machines. It's a pain but when you get done the end result is worth it.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5676.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	501229