Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-05-2014, 09:24 AM

Emma S, but aren't the whites the neutrals?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:43 AM

Joe's Mom: I may have it wrong, but I thought Bonnie listed whites and neutrals. The neutrals ranging from tan to white but avoiding yellow tinted. Maybe I am wringing my hands needlessly?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:45 AM

Maybe others will weigh in. I was thinking the whites were with the neutrals. If not, then my problem of choosing is solved. I'll use my white that reads solid as the white, and my other white prints as neutrals.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:54 AM

Joe's mom: Went back and read the list of materials. The whites are the neutrals. I just opted to go with one white (neutral) so long ago that I forgot my decision.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:02 AM

As I understand it the white/neutral category is all the same bunch. 3 yds total.
You have your pinks, greens, blues, yellow, blacks and then neutrals.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
did quilt blocks with template taped to ruler once............ oh it turned out great...but....never, ever, ever again !!!

25 on the ironing board now.....getting flashbacks of the 50's "Blue Suede Shoes" "Party Girl"
ruffled petticoats under felt 'poodle skirts'

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to have music running through their heads and doing a singalong while quilting.
Certain quilts seam to have there own "theme songs" for me.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by somoquilter View Post
I don't know whether I will continue with this mystery quilt. This 2nd clue is confusing to me & I can't get the pdf file to download so I can print it out. How big is the pdf file? Anyone know? My internet connection sucks...
I'm a bit discouraged.
Scroll down to where it says "**Option #3**".
Have you ever made a snowball block? Making this unit is similar to that. You are taking a rectangle and inserting a square at each end then trimming it up to be a triangle. Look at quilters cache and look for the snowball block directions. See how the little square is put on the bigger one. After sewing you trim off the back and lower end of the little block and it is pressed to look like Bonnies. That second sewn line is not necessary. Bonnie just doesn't want any wasted fabric. I'm sure there are a lot more people who can explain it better than me but this step will be fast and easy when you understand.

Relax and just hang in there and help will come to you!
Old 12-05-2014, 10:23 AM

Three times I read the instructions on Quiltville for week 2 and decided the easiest looking method was option #3. To use a neutral reactangle and 2 triangles on the top/ bottom. All those other angles confused my brain. I've never done triangles let alone wonky angled diamond shapes...

My goal is to get cutting and sewing tonight after work- starting with week one.... In between getting a tree purchased and decorated for Christmas... Haha!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:08 AM

I agree that option #3 looks the easiest, even though the triangle will end up waste (I don't bother to keep such small components). I've also wondered if sewing three strips together and then cutting at a 45 degree angle might not work also for those of us using one fabric per colour? I might play around with that as well.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I agree that option #3 looks the easiest, even though the triangle will end up waste (I don't bother to keep such small components). I've also wondered if sewing three strips together and then cutting at a 45 degree angle might not work also for those of us using one fabric per colour? I might play around with that as well.
It would probably work but your outside edges of the blocks would be bias and stretchy, and you'd have to figure out the ratio of sizes for the neutrals.