Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hanging Tabs >

Hanging Tabs

Hanging Tabs

Old 12-04-2014, 03:46 PM

If you are wanting the look of the tabs across the top - I have sewn them under the binding at the back and then wrap to the front, anchoring with a decorative button. As to spacing - I use pieces of paper laid under the hanging as it lays on a table to experiment with size, distance between, number of tabs etc.
If you don't want to anchor to the front then sew on with the binding, laying them on the front surface and wrap to the back and anchor after you finish the binding.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
If you are wanting the look of the tabs across the top - I have sewn them under the binding at the back and then wrap to the front, anchoring with a decorative button. As to spacing - I use pieces of paper laid under the hanging as it lays on a table to experiment with size, distance between, number of tabs etc.
If you don't want to anchor to the front then sew on with the binding, laying them on the front surface and wrap to the back and anchor after you finish the binding.
thanks, GEMRM. this is very helpful. i didn't think of buttons
Old 12-04-2014, 08:38 PM

I have use the triangles like sluabug showed in the picture and it worked great.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:01 AM

I have always sewn a "sleeve" to the back of my quilts, and included 2 large "buttonholes" in the sleeve (3 if a really large quilt). Then I thread the dowel or small pipe through the sleeve with shower curtain hangers inserted at the button holders. The sleeve is invisible, the weight of the quilt/wall hanger is distributed evenly & the sleeve disappears if you want to use the quilt as a quilt. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:53 AM

Depends on the size of the quilt, but the last one I did was a wall hanging which was 14 inches wide. I used quilt binding in a complimentary color and put them on the back under the binding in the seam allowance. Then when the binding was folded to the back the tabs were concealed where connected, they were placed so that there was no drooping and I was quite happy with this method. Similar to adding a hanging pocket, just that there are only the tabs. The suggestion to use plastic rings sounds like a terrific idea and I think I might try that on the next one.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:09 AM

I did this wall hanging years ago and it just begged for tabs at the top. I made them pretty wide so the quilt would hand nice and not sag anywhere. I made them after the binding and attached them like you would sew EPP shapes together. I like the way it came out. (Yes I realize it has ripples, it has been hanging for many years. I still like it).

Lately I have been toying with the idea of using those curtain rings that have a clip to hang one. I saw this done in a museum and although you would have to use quite a few to prevent sagging it's an option that looks cute and different than the traditional rod pocket. I do like the idea of the triangles in the corners for small ones too. Thanks for the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	501365  

Last edited by quiltingbuddy; 12-06-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
I did this wall hanging years ago and it just begged for tabs at the top. I made them pretty wide so the quilt would hand nice and not sag anywhere. I made them after the binding and attached them like you would sew EPP shapes together. I like the way it came out. (Yes I realize it has ripples, it has been hanging for many years. I still like it).

Lately I have been toying with the idea of using those curtain rings that have a clip to hang one. I saw this done in a museum and although you would have to use quite a few to prevent sagging it's an option that looks cute and different than the traditional rod pocket. I do like the idea of the triangles in the corners for small ones too. Thanks for the idea.
thanks... i like the visual. your's is pretty