Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-07-2014, 10:00 PM

Step one all done. Step two all cut with a couple of sets sewn. I am loving the easy angle rulers and methods. It feels good to use a ruler that has been sitting for quite a while.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
The problem with going with a scant 1/4 seam when joining the 2 blocks together is that you would have to remember to do a same scant seam when you join this 4.5 inch by 4.5 inch block to whatever it will be connected to because otherwise you points will be cut off at the tops and bottoms (the way it is shown in the photo).
I didn't mean to use a scant seam when joining the two pieces together, just when joining the complete block to whatever else it ends up next to. Still though, it could be a problem like you suggested. I hadn't considered that. If it wasn't a mystery and we had directions, there might be a way to adjust for it, but of course we don't know that yet. I guess this might be one of those times when you do the best you can and then cross your fingers!
Old 12-08-2014, 02:18 AM

Thank you for the tip quiltsRfun. I am starting with the pinks and have maybe 4 finished blocks done. I will definitely be watching for the black shadow to line up
Old 12-08-2014, 04:22 AM

Thanks for posting pictures, everyone. I've enjoyed seeing everyone's work. I tried to post a picture yesterday, but for the first time ever, couldn't!! I've been seeing so many people mentioning that they've been having trouble. Are any of you having trouble? I've been doing pictures with other things (emailing them, doing my Xmas card on Snapfish, etc.) and haven't had any trouble. My pictures are .jpeg and I've always been able to post here before but now I get an error message. I think it said something like "invalid" or "error" and I can't figure out how to fix it.

Anyway. . . I haven't even started clue #2 and probably won't have time until after #3 comes out!! Oh, well, I'll just get to it when I have time. I'm not done with #1 but have everything cut and all the HSTs sewn together and pressed open. I NEED to clean and oil my machine before I do any more sewing. I HATE that job but shouldn't keep procrastinating.

Have a great week everyone.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:08 AM

I have the directions for the first two parts, and since I have no use for very large quilts, I decided to cut the pieces in half. That size I can use, and I can also deal with it better. Unfortunately, I sew very slow. I will probably have it finished in time to start the next one. I'm not a pink fan. I used red instead. It's fun to do if I'm using the right colors. I did a mystery quilt where when I finished I wound up taking it apart and replacing two of the fabrics. The pieces are small in this quilt, and I can't imagine that happening. In any event, it's fun to just go with the flow and trust Bonnie.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:24 AM

Here is the link to Bonnie's blog Link Up if you want to see some pictures from others or link up yourself. Scroll down to the bottom.
On the scant 1/4" seam I think I read to always use the scant 1/4" on everything. I know the first blocks said to use it and I think the second clue also. Bonnie thinks that the 1/4" foot is too big. She even sells a tool on her site to get a perfect scant 1/4" seam.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2014/12/mystery-monday-link-up-part-2.html

Old 12-08-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by winia View Post
I have the directions for the first two parts, and since I have no use for very large quilts, I decided to cut the pieces in half. That size I can use, and I can also deal with it better. Unfortunately, I sew very slow. I will probably have it finished in time to start the next one. I'm not a pink fan. I used red instead. It's fun to do if I'm using the right colors. I did a mystery quilt where when I finished I wound up taking it apart and replacing two of the fabrics. The pieces are small in this quilt, and I can't imagine that happening. In any event, it's fun to just go with the flow and trust Bonnie.
I can't imagine having the patience to take a quilt apart and replace fabrics!

I'm a slow worker, too. I figure we're not behind as long as we finish the quilt before next year's MQ is announced.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:52 AM

susiequilt, thanks for that link! I see someone has posted a picture showing they've switched the black and white in the quilt (at least for the double diamond units). Won't that be interesting to see!

Thanks everyone, for posting pictures! It's such fun to see the different fabrics. I'm finding it especially helpful to see the double diamond units with a sample broken dishes unit. It makes it easier to picture the whole.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:41 AM

Thank You everyone for the encouragement, I will just keep trying on the Double Diamonds. I think that I will stick with the 3rd method, I just feel more comfortable with it.
I have switched out the pink for purple, my DM only bought me pink clothes all my childhood I had a pink bedroom and we also had a pink black and white car (1950's) and I have an aversion to to pink of any shade. I love the lavender plant so I'm going for all shades in that color.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
Thank You everyone for the encouragement, I will just keep trying on the Double Diamonds. I think that I will stick with the 3rd method, I just feel more comfortable with it.
I have switched out the pink for purple, my DM only bought me pink clothes all my childhood I had a pink bedroom and we also had a pink black and white car (1950's) and I have an aversion to to pink of any shade. I love the lavender plant so I'm going for all shades in that color.
Look forward to seeing the quilt in lavender.