Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did You Know >

Did You Know

Did You Know

Old 12-08-2014, 06:10 AM

Default Did You Know

Originally Posted by eilers12634 View Post
QOV is revamping and now asking for a annual membership fee to belong. If anyone donates money to you it must be turned in to headquarters. I have donated quilts and longarmed over 30 during the past year and money was all out of my pocket. I only donate locally . National organization is getting way too restrictive. If I have to pay membership to even belong to the organization, my donations will be going elsewhere. Check October newsletter for membership fees.
Jeanne
I was rather distressed to read the above comment. Membership is NOT required to make and donate QOVs. Membership fees are paid mostly by groups. The information I have gives a number of reasons for the new membership fee. One is to trademark the name of QOV Foundation. Apparently, some groups are collecting QOVs and not donating to our veterans. Another reason is to be able to secure corporate support...the membership fees are returned to the groups in full to help buy batting, fabrics etc. Some volunteers are on limited income and this would help provide funds for supplies for them.

This is partial information due to space limitations. I urge you to check with your state coordinator for more details.

While there are specific requirements, there is room for flexibility. All QOVs are appreciated for what they do....to thank our veterans and to give them the loving warmth of quilts.

Last edited by quilttiger; 12-08-2014 at 06:13 AM. Reason: word added for more clarity
Old 12-08-2014, 06:31 AM

My charity quilting group gives Americana quilts to our local hospice and they provide them to their vets. We have has many positive responses to this from the spouses of these brave vets.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:40 AM

I think that is terrible!!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I would only donate my quilts locally. I would not have any idea where they would be going.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 PM

I always provide all batting-backing with my lap size valor tops. I don't see why LA should provide these, it's an honor for them to provide their time and quilting expertise! So let me say on here....Thank you all who has providing your services for this project!!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:53 PM

My local Guild is in about the 18th month of a project that we wish we could wind up next year--but doubt that will do it. Our goal is to provide a quilt for each war time Vet in our country. So far we have given to all our WWII, Korean and a few VN Vets. Next year we hope to get all the VN Vets gifted and at least the older Iraq and Afganistan Vets. Our quilts do not meet the requirements for QOV in size (smaller). We do get donations and everyone has emptied their stash of patriotic colors and the long armers have been kept very busy (backing & bat provided by the Guild). We have probably presented close to300 quilts and expect to do another 200 in 2015 (thank goodness we are a fairly rural county!)
Old 12-09-2014, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I doubt those are the OFFICIAL rules. Someone is pulling your leg
My Friend in Oklahoma just experienced the same thing! Apparently QOV is now a very large organization that requires full time employees to hand the red tape and coordinate all the donations. They were required to send all their locally raised funds to QOV and then bill them for supplies that could have just been purchased locally with local funds. The whole quilting group now does only local fund raising and donations!
It is QOV's official policies!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:16 AM

I also do long arm quilting. I have done some for a local person and that made it a little better. But at the same time I did make two QOV and I delivered them to local veterans. You then go to their web site and add the information of who was given the quilts. We also have a Missouri State Veterans Home locally and quilts can be taken there.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:31 AM

Oh my I had no idea! They must have no idea what a gift LA quilting is and how much time it takes! I feel it is totally unreasonable to expect postage and batting too!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:29 AM

I'm sorry to learn that, Michelle. It never occurred to me that the volunteer quilter would be obliged to such a degree. It's a lot to expect and I completely understand why you won't continue. Maybe you can make lap quilts from scraps foryour local Veterans organizations. I'm sure those would be very much appreciated. It seems that whenever these wonderful local projects, like QOV, Linus, etc. get greater public attention they get out of hand. But thanks for all you did for the vets and I know you will find a way to continue on a more local and individual basis. Good luck.