Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glue Basting Sceptic >

Glue Basting Sceptic

Glue Basting Sceptic

Old 12-09-2014, 04:24 AM

I tried glue basting recently and was disappointed. I don't have a place I can leave my quilt laying flat waiting for the glue to dry.

I also ended up with a mess in some areas because my hands were getting tired from squeezing the bottles and I got impatient. But I'm also one of those people who always ends up with a mess when using any type of glue.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:38 AM

....no thanks....I really don't want to wash everything I make....some things just need to look "new", not used. I just do things the old fashioned way...pins, baste.....or whatever, but not glue!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:39 AM

I make 40x60 comfort quilts and glue baste the edges so the binding will go on easier and look nicer. I just started doing this about a month ago, and I am a convert. I use the purple glue sticks and then press with an iron. What a timesaver and it looks great as well (although a little flat until the first wash).
Old 12-09-2014, 04:43 AM
dd

I iron it after I glue it to help it dry better. Then I use skirt hangers and hang it overnight. It's always dry the next day when I'm ready. Have to watch other brands of washable glue though. I bought Rose Art or Crazy Art, don't remember which, and it's thicker and wouldn't come out easily. I even diluted it and it didn't work well. Had some glops and the very tip of the needle is bent slightly. Really dulled the needle. Only Elmer's for me from now on.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by PatPitter View Post
I also ended up with a mess in some areas because my hands were getting tired from squeezing the bottles and I got impatient.
I use channel lock pliers to squeeze the glue bottle. Gives me a little extra reach and a LOT of extra leverage. Works great, my hands don't get tired at all!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:24 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by PatPitter View Post
I tried glue basting recently and was disappointed.
I tried the glue basting with Elmer's washable school glue once, maybe 2 years ago. I still remember being reduced to tears by the frustration - not sure what I did wrong. I drizzled very lightly onto the batting, maybe 8-10 inches apart, and ended up with a mess trying to smooth the quilt top out. Where it did hold when it dried, the glue hardened enough that my machine would skip stitches trying to go through it. Mostly, it didn't hold.

Would someone be kind enough to post more details on the technique and how to get good results? I went back to spray basting, which I love except for the smell.

Michelle
Old 12-09-2014, 06:48 AM

Interesting thread. I have several Elmer Glue sticks and a couple of bottles of the washable glue. I see that I am going to have to try it.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:53 AM

I will never baste a quilt any other way. I think we should get stock in Elmer's, everybody will be buying it.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:07 AM

What if you are using a table smaller than your quilt top? After I glue the part on the table, what happens when I move the quilt to do the next section?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:10 AM

I use Aleene's No-Sew Fabric Glue. Temporary hold for basting & stitching. Bonds fabric for permanent hold until washed. Just a little dab hold and there is no waiting or having to iron to dry. It sticks like glue, so be sure you have it right before you finger press it together. You can separate the items if there isn't too much glue applied, but you have to be gentle or it may tear the fabric.