Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm Quilting Rental Time >

Long Arm Quilting Rental Time

Long Arm Quilting Rental Time

Old 12-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Default Long Arm Quilting Rental Time

does anyone know of a place where I could go and rent time on a long arm quilting machine in Mississippi? I live in Shubuta (middle of nowhere). I am 30 miles from Meridian and Waynesboro. My daughter lives in Jackson. I would love to use one and figure out if it is something I can have confidence using before I spend thousands purchasing one. I have not really been coordinated enough FMQ on my Brother. How do any of you manage to FMQ on a small home sewing machine?
Old 12-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Banned

You start with small projects and practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more. I have 14 Brother machines and at least half of them FM very well.

Cari
Old 12-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

I concentrate on the about 12 inches under my needle at a time. i make sure all the rest of the quilt is up on the table and once the 12 inches are quilted, I move to position the next section.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

Check local dealers, or quilt shops might be able to tell you where a dealer is. Generally you can ( test drive) machines at quilt shows and at machine dealers
Old 12-08-2014, 04:49 PM

I don't know of a place, but I highly recommend this way of doing things. It gives you a good idea if you are going to be happy using one of these machines. I took a required class before I could rent my quilt shop's long arm. That was a good lesson on how to set everything up and work the machine. Then rent it and do a couple of baby quilt, or lap quilts. I quickly bought a mid arm machine and have since upgraded to a long arm. When first beginning it difficult to do a large quilt in one rental day, so start out small.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

The Stitch N Frame shop in Bovina, (just before Vicksburg on I-20) rents out time on their longarms. You have to take a one-time class first, which was around $100 last time I checked, but you can get a quilt quilted in that class. I've meant to do this one day, but I seem to be doing fine with FMQ on my Juki.

http://www.stitch-n-frame.net/
Old 12-09-2014, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
How do any of you manage to FMQ on a small home sewing machine?
Practice, aided by grippy gloves, cussing, and wine. LOL!

I watched a TON of Leah Day FMQ videos before I tried it. She does all hers on a DSM and she has a wonderful attitude and marvelous skills. Check out her blog, she has literally hundreds of free videos. https://www.leahday.com/ They're fun & mesmerizing to watch, even if you're not really sure you want to try it yourself. (I'm still learning, not a pro myself by any means, but I'm definitely better at it now than I was when I started!)
Old 12-09-2014, 06:42 AM

Block Therapy in Gautier rents time, I believe. We regularly travel through your area, so I know that would be a long drive. Love Block Therapy, though! Really nice owners and super selection of fabrics, notions, and Baby Lock machines.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Two things that I found that helped me. First you have to find that sweet spot on your Brother's. You need to be able to hit that speed that is not too slow nor too fast. Watch the speed at which the DSM moves the fabric thru the feet. That is the speed you want to be able to obtain and then match the movement that the DSM would be moving the fabric. Next, don't look at where your needle is at the present, look at least an inch or more to where you want your needle to go to. It is a lot like learning to drive. Remember how much practice we begged for a parent to let us drive ?!?

You will be able to get to the ability to do this with practice, practice and MORE practice. Make some dog beds for a local animal shelters. Dogs will never ever complain about your quilting!!