Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
some things are not usable "forever" >

some things are not usable "forever"

some things are not usable "forever"

Old 12-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

Glass jars can go to recycle, anywhere.
Not during my grandmother's time! And none in my area until the late 90's. Not all towns have recycle centers even today.

No way to recycle the glass or metal or paper for my grandparents. My grandfather use to break the glass jars, mash the metal cans and put in big metal barrel and take to the town's dump site when full. Burnt all paper trash.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
So true. I hate to throw anything away and try to hold on to everything as long as I can. That is why my sewing room is in such a cluttered mess.
Oh this is so ture and my mantra.
I hate putting in a new blade. it NEVER fails. the minute I put in a new blade, and love how it cuts. bam! if falls on the floor. it's closed, by the kitty pushed it on the floor, and it gets a dent. I hate throwing stuff out, coz then i'll need it.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
Yooper32 - it's not just depression babies and WW II babies, but their children who grew up with parents who taught them this behavior. I have a hard time getting rid of stuff, too. We're trying to declutter our house and my parents used to show up with a car load of stuff from my childhood every time they visited. My husband's a Navy brat, so his entire childhood fits in a single box. Needless to say, he has an easier time letting go than I do. But worn out stuff like bearisgray posted I can throw out.
My mom grew up during the depression and WWII and now she, my sister, and I STRUGGLE to declutter. Mom's trying very hard right now as she is 85 and does not want to leave a mess behind and my sister and I might be moving to Panama in a couple of years and can't take it all with us. It's going to be really hard to get rid of stuff. Salvation Army is going to make out like a bandit from me because I live too far out to have a yard sale. Since making the decision to move, my purchases have been with the move in mind.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

nothing like decluttering someone else's stuff to look ot our own stuff differently,
Old 12-14-2014, 04:32 PM

Oh my yes. After changing the blade on my 45m cutter this afternoon, I told my husband to tell me change that thing when I start complaing about cutting fabric. The new one cut like "butta".
Old 12-14-2014, 09:20 PM

I never had much growing up so I try to save every little bit of anything I can get my hands on. I was recently given a lot of fabric from someones elderly Aunt that passed away. It had that old mildew smell to it. I can't tell you how many times I washed, soaked & sprayed those pieces of fabric (sometimes yardage) to get the smell out "just in case I might need it someday. I am still airing it and rewashing it, but refusing to throw it away. I remember well having to do without and hoping my friends would give me their hand me down coats to wear during the cold winter months. It sounds like the old tales of walking to school uphill both ways in the snow, but I did have to walk 1 block short of the 2 mile marker to ride the bus for free in tennis shoes. I'll never forget how cold those wet tennis shoes got in the snow and how cold my feet would be. So YES I try to save everything I can get my hands on.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:23 AM

Those who have plenty find it easier to toss than those who have always had less. I tend to make things stretch because that's the only way I had anything!
Old 12-15-2014, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Bearisgray,
You can add:
irons....which lose their spray action, leak, or don't heat thoroughly
marking pencils....I hate nubs!
templates....with dinged or chipped corners
leftovers....fabric scraps, partial patterns, 3-out-of-4 buttons, that trim you'll never use, batting scraps when you have yards of leftover batting pieces, a "finished" bobbin with about 2-3 yards of thread left on it
UFOs older than dirt which you'll never get around to completing
(These last two are "attention span". THAT does not seem to last forever either. )

Jan in VA
Jan, just sayin'... if you're ever my Secret Santa, I'd love to find those 3-out-of-4 buttons and trim you'll never use in my package!
Old 12-15-2014, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I never had much growing up so I try to save every little bit of anything I can get my hands on. I was recently given a lot of fabric from someones elderly Aunt that passed away. It had that old mildew smell to it. I can't tell you how many times I washed, soaked & sprayed those pieces of fabric (sometimes yardage) to get the smell out "just in case I might need it someday. I am still airing it and rewashing it, but refusing to throw it away. I remember well having to do without and hoping my friends would give me their hand me down coats to wear during the cold winter months. It sounds like the old tales of walking to school uphill both ways in the snow, but I did have to walk 1 block short of the 2 mile marker to ride the bus for free in tennis shoes. I'll never forget how cold those wet tennis shoes got in the snow and how cold my feet would be. So YES I try to save everything I can get my hands on.
how much have you spent on trying to get that fabric usable?
Old 12-15-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
So true. I hate to throw anything away and try to hold on to everything as long as I can. That is why my sewing room is in such a cluttered mess.
You must have looked in my sewing room,(and the rest of the house too.) I loaded my car trunk with sewing supplies etc. and took various give-aways to our family Thanksgiving. (20 people!) Came home with most of it! Bit the bullet and took it to a charitable organization.