Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bernina 820 - anyone got one or played with? >

bernina 820 - anyone got one or played with?

bernina 820 - anyone got one or played with?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:39 PM

I have the 8 Series 820 (the new one). It is cheaper than the new 830. The 830 is around the $10,000 range, but I think if you shop around or wait until one of the promotions you can get a much better deal...JMO
Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

Luv2Kreate, will the 820 do auto machine quilting designs? Or is that only the 830? The dealer doesn't sell the 820 one. The 830 vibrated enough to make the spool of thread look like a heat wave and the dealer said it was because it sewed so fast.?? Maybe she didn't have it properly installed in the cabinet as she though. I'm sure it has to be leveled according to the floor it's on. Congrats on your machine!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Luv2Kreate, will the 820 do auto machine quilting designs? Or is that only the 830? The dealer doesn't sell the 820 one. The 830 vibrated enough to make the spool of thread look like a heat wave and the dealer said it was because it sewed so fast.?? Maybe she didn't have it properly installed in the cabinet as she though. I'm sure it has to be leveled according to the floor it's on. Congrats on your machine!
The 820 doesn't auto machine quilt...
Sounds like she didn't have it level. I have heard of people talking about making sure the machine and are sturdy and level. The 820 and the 830 have speed controls too (I personally LOVE that feature)!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by Luv2Kreate
I have the 820 and love it. I think BellaBoo is talking about the 830. The 820 doesn't do the embroidery, and costs well under $10,000. I don't have any problems with mine...absolutely no vibration at all. This is my dream machine and to me worth every penny we spent on it! I went from sewing and NEVER completing a project because my "other" machine was frustrating to sewing every day! In case anyone is wondering, I do NOT regret going with the 820 instead of the 830 either...but I am not inot embroidery either :)
the 820 with no embroidery was the one i was thinking of. Thanks for your input too Luv2Kreate..it all helps. Have you had any issues with your machine? Which features do you like the best? Did you buy the table that it goes into as well? do you know if the 820 will take feet off other berninas?
I went on the Bernina site and lots of people have had trouble with the 830 but it may have been when it was first released and maybe they have ironed out the problems..
Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by blahel
I have the 820 and love it. I think BellaBoo is talking about the 830. The 820 doesn't do the embroidery, and costs well under $10,000. I don't have any problems with mine...absolutely no vibration at all. This is my dream machine and to me worth every penny we spent on it! I went from sewing and NEVER completing a project because my "other" machine was frustrating to sewing every day! In case anyone is wondering, I do NOT regret going with the 820 instead of the 830 either...but I am not inot embroidery either :)
the 820 with no embroidery was the one i was thinking of. Thanks for your input too Luv2Kreate..it all helps. Have you had any issues with your machine? Which features do you like the best? Did you buy the table that it goes into as well? do you know if the 820 will take feet off other berninas?
I went on the Bernina site and lots of people have had trouble with the 830 but it may have been when it was first released and maybe they have ironed out the problems..
I haven't had any issues at all with mine. I didn't take the class either. I bought it during the Houston Quilt Festival so I would have had to wait and I didn't want to. The manual is VERY informative and there are videos all over the internet.

I am a member of several 820/830 yahoo groups, and there are people who have had issues with the 830...mostly the first ones that came out, but I never hear of issues with the 820 that don't end up being operator errors.

It does take some feet from other Berninas...I am not sure which ones right off hand, this is my first Bernina, so my extra feet were purchased strictly for this machine. I did not buy the table or the frame. I will be purchasing the frame sometime this summer though.

I LOVE everything about this machine. It is so much different than the little singer I had.

A few of my absolute favorites are:
1. The size. (Even without the other features, the size alone would have made this worth it to me). It really is possible to quilt a very large quilt on this machine...something I could never do on my other machine. In fact I never managed to complete a quilt until I got this one. The actual quilting part was too frustrating.
2. I LOVE the threading system, and also the extra large bobbin.
3. Speed Control
4. I love the needle up/down feature.
5. The ability to program how my machine sews.
6. The BSR
7. The auto thread cutter!
and the list goes on and on...

I plan on taking the class in the next few months. I know there are features I haven't even touched yet!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 AM

I have a 10 inch throat on my Viking Sapphire 830 that I bought new for eleven hundred but it is much cheaper now that is an older model.
I would like to have a Bernina but they are too expensive.
They are the only machines with a stitch regulator and I would love that feature.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:20 AM

The one in the bottom picture retails in Canada for 13,000.00 Canadian!
So I bought top of the line Janome for less than half in Canada and I love it.
So many sizes of hoops and even a sqare one for doing blocks.
memory craft 1100
Gale
Old 01-06-2010, 04:02 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by blahel
I haven't had any issues at all with mine. I didn't take the class either. I bought it during the Houston Quilt Festival so I would have had to wait and I didn't want to. The manual is VERY informative and there are videos all over the internet.

I am a member of several 820/830 yahoo groups, and there are people who have had issues with the 830...mostly the first ones that came out, but I never hear of issues with the 820 that don't end up being operator errors.

It does take some feet from other Berninas...I am not sure which ones right off hand, this is my first Bernina, so my extra feet were purchased strictly for this machine. I did not buy the table or the frame. I will be purchasing the frame sometime this summer though.

I LOVE everything about this machine. It is so much different than the little singer I had.

A few of my absolute favorites are:
1. The size. (Even without the other features, the size alone would have made this worth it to me). It really is possible to quilt a very large quilt on this machine...something I could never do on my other machine. In fact I never managed to complete a quilt until I got this one. The actual quilting part was too frustrating.
2. I LOVE the threading system, and also the extra large bobbin.
3. Speed Control
4. I love the needle up/down feature.
5. The ability to program how my machine sews.
6. The BSR
7. The auto thread cutter!
and the list goes on and on...

I plan on taking the class in the next few months. I know there are features I haven't even touched yet!
Just what I wanted to know..it sounds just the machine for me from your description! However will have to still shop around and hope I can get a very good deal even if i have to trade in my other bernina! I will still check out all the other machines everyone has mentioned and take my time and not rush into anything..
Old 01-07-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Margie
I have the 830...which is the same as the 820 EXCEPT it does embroidery too. I love it....dont have vibration you are talking about.

Margie

Alright Margie, that's it, I can't stand it...I am coming over to play! Now, where's the phone number for the airlines.... :mrgreen:
Old 07-09-2012, 03:28 PM

I dreamed and got burnt- this has a lot of buttons and a lot of glitches. I',m learning the fancier the machine the fancier the problems.