Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question Regarding Using Black Fabric in Quilts >

Question Regarding Using Black Fabric in Quilts

Question Regarding Using Black Fabric in Quilts

Old 01-03-2015, 08:30 PM

I have used black quite a few times, as I love the way it makes the other colors just pop.........and I haven't had any apparent color fade that shows.......that is sure a pretty one you have on here.............
Old 01-03-2015, 09:17 PM
Power Poster

If you are really worried about pet fur or fade, maybe a light smoke grey would be an alternative. Personally I love black, and have only had a bit of a fade problem with one, but it is under a skylight.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:09 AM

I just finished making some black and white quilts. I couldn't use black batting because of all the white in the quilt. I didn't notice the black picking up much of anything until I put it on the longarm to quilt it. Then it picked up loads of the batting. It was easy to remove with a lint roller, though, and hopefully it won't beard too much. I used both batik and Kona cotton for the blacks.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:38 AM

All material is going to fade with time unless it is packed away in a dark environment. The quilt will not be washed on a regular basis, hopefully, and if something like Woolite for dark materials is used, fading from washing should be minimal. I make quilts to be used and loved. I love to see a quilt I have made and given spread out on a bed or scrunched up on a couch. Your quilt is beautiful. Your granddaughter will love it.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by meganc731 View Post
Have you considered using dark gray instead of black? That might look nice and be more forgiving than black.
I like that idea, meganc731.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:59 AM

I think black makes colors pop. I use a lot of black kona is my choice. I prewash until my color catcher comes out clean. Keeping it out of the sun as others have said and it will not fade anymore than other colors. If she has dog's or cats that get on the bed the hair will show up quicker than a lot of other colors.but keep a lint roller handy and it works to keep it clean of all lent.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:35 PM

I made a black background quilt a few years ago. It washes very well in cold water. Pet hair and lint do show up, and I use a lint roller once in awhile. The advice of buying all of the same black fabric is great. I didn't do that and the additional black that I purchased was a little off. I love the quilt you are thinking of making.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:46 PM

I am in the minority as to liking the looks of the solid blacks... I don't much care for them. What I prefer is a scrappy mix of tone on tone blacks because that adds some detail and interest to those areas of just black.
I try to buy half a yard or so every time I find a TOT black, just for this purpose. Also, if there is some fading, it is much less noticeable with a mix of TOT prints.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:57 PM

I love quilts with a black background, it makes all of the other colors pop!
Old 01-05-2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
It should be fine. It looks great! Wash it once before giving it to her, using color catchers. Just tell her to wash in cool water and dry cool.

Are they batiks or regular cottons? I can't tell from the angle.
I'm not sure either. I purchased two Kona brights jelly rolls. (Fabric is plain.) I think the Kona brights will work well. This photos does not show extreme quilting and that would make a difference in whether or not the brights are prints or not. Thanks for your input.