Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best batting???? Suggestions needed >

Best batting???? Suggestions needed

Best batting???? Suggestions needed

Old 01-05-2015, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
Me too. I like the cotton battings best.
Best batting at a sensible price IMO
Old 01-05-2015, 02:44 AM

I like Quilters Dream - Request. It is a thin batting and was great to hand quilt. I am currently working on a project that the owner bought me Cream Rose or something like that at JoAnn's. it's pretty nice - it is puffier than QD Request. I don't know how it will be shrinkage wise when i wash it. NOt finished yet.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

I love all of the Quilters Dream battings, I also use many Hobbs batting. Dream wool is wonderful! ( and the quilts launder beautifully, the Hobbs wool does too. Dream poly is great for kids, & utility quilts, holds up great through lots of use. Start yourself a ( batting journal) there are so many available to try these days. I started mine about 12 years ago. Each *new* batting I try I write down the name/ brand of it, where I bought it and the price. Then the care instructions and quilting requirements ( some battings need to be quilted ever 2", others allow up to 10" between quilting lines.) Any other information I want to add -like how it feels then I take it out, or odor... and I cut a 6" square of the batting and add it with the large index card the info is written on. After I use the batting I add any additional information, how it was to work with, if I liked it or not & why - if it might be great for one project but not for another. I do have a few (Never again) in my journal. When it am getting ready to purchase a batting for a particular project I can look through & choose what I want, or when I see one on sale somewhere I can check to see if I've tried it, if I like it or not.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I buy Pellon 80/20 cotton/poly batting from Walmart.com. A 96"x9yd bolt costs about the same as one queen size of the packaged name brands. I'm on my second bolt of it and have had no issues at all, in fact I like it very much.

Cari
Thanks for this review. I've seen this batting online and wondered how it was. I think I'll give it a try next time I need batting. Can't beat the price!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:15 AM

My favorite battings are from Quilter's Dream. I also use a lot of Hobbs 80/20.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:29 AM

I saw where the Warm Company has a new batting called Warm and Plush. It is a softer and thicker cotton batting. Has anyone tried it yet?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:34 AM

Quilters Dream girl here as well
Old 01-05-2015, 11:25 AM

This link to the Hobbs website is a list of the different types of batting they manufacture. It's very useful when trying to decide what kind of batting to use. http://www.hobbsbatting.com/our-prod...om-collection/

I'm not affiliated with Hobbs in any way, but two of their customer reps visited our Guild a few months back and gave us a chard like this to use as a reference. I think Quilter's Dream has something similar on their website.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

There are three major camps that make batting.

Warm & Natural. FLAT look

Dream cotton. Variety of cotton and poly but expensive

Hobbs 80/20. This is what I have used since they first starting making it. Has a slight puff to display your quilting skills.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:03 PM

I'm a Quilters Dream girl too. That is what my LQS recommends, and I love the way my quilts feel. I have used the Hobbs Polydown too, but I like the Quilters Dream best. I think it dries quickly too.