Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update on lost quilt >

Update on lost quilt

Update on lost quilt

Old 01-08-2015, 06:19 AM

This needs to be reported to the Postmaster General, they are most likely committing a felony and as long as they get away with it they will continue. It is sad to say there are many unscrupulous people in this world in all walks of life. We need to get back to the basics, "Thou shalt not steal" plus a few others. There are people who think they are owed all these things whether they are or aren't and most of the time they aren't for sure! I would send photographs of the carefully cut label to the postmaster General as well as contacting the local news media. Stir up as much media coverage as you can and maybe someone in the post office will do something. If they have security cameras it is a matter of going thru the tapes and most likely the people are too lazy to do so. Good luck in finding it, but I suspect it is gone forever. As someone suggested watch e-bay in that area and if you see it contact the authorities in that area as well as e-bay. Do you have a picture of your quilt. It is a good idea to take a picture of everyone of your quilts whether you think it is needed or not. You never know when you might need the evidence.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
this happened to me with my grandson's birthday presents and some expensive Justice clothes I put in the box for my granddaughter. I kept asking them if they got the box, they kept saying no. I kept asking post office, they tracked it and kept saying it was at some facility. I kept asking why it was still there. they said no one probably updated progress, well, after 2-3 weeks of me hounding them, I got a letter in the mail, in that letter they said we are sorry, your pkg was destroyed and they put in the return address label, the shipping label, the tracking label and the postage label. And a form to fill out with all the contents and they would "try to locate it" I am sorry, but how does a box get completely destroyed and they have none of the contents and yet they have all the labels from the box to send to you??? I filled it all out, sent it back and didn't get one thing back. Not one thing and no compensation for the contents whatsoever. I am out all that money and my grandson who was 2, didn't get a birthday present and my granddaughter's clothes gone gone gone. I am not very trusting of the postal system anymore. Just thought I would share this story and I am sorry, it wasn't a quilt related post, but fit with the missing quilt post. Sorry but someone is enjoying your niece's quilt on their bed. And probably wearing my granddaughter's clothes and playing with my grandson's toys.

This is exactly what they send me Shayarene. When a box is taped within an inch of it's life how does it break open and they are able to retrieve all the labels but nothing else. My niece said this same P.O. ripped the corner off a box she sent her daughter that contained books. I'm thinking they did this, saw a gift bag with a quilt and thought someone would like that under their Christmas tree.

I've given up all hope of ever finding this again.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:36 AM

I too had this happen. I hand knitted an Irish sweater with oiled wool I has shipped from Ireland.I mailed it to my son in the military and they sent it to someone else. He never got it. I finally tracked it down and the guy said I thought it was from my aunt so I used it. I will send it back to you. Ha. He went to WALMART and sent me a cheap cotton one, like I wouldn't know the difference. My son never even got to see it. Oh well. That's life.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
I posted to the thread, but in case you didn't see it, I thought I'd post it here as well since many asked me to update everyone if my lost quilt was found.

I received a letter from a Los Angeles post office that said "we found your label that had come lose from your package and it is enclosed". In the envelope was indeed my return label, the paper with the tracking number, etc. AND my original piece of box on which I had written the name and address of my niece and then, to make sure rain or snow didn't smear it, I taped two pieces of clear packing tape over it.

My question for the USPS is how does a name and address written on the box come lose. A label, sure that could happen but less likely if taped down. This was written with pen on the box and is neatly cut out along with my return label and the tracking label.

They ask me to describe the contents, etc. but it's obvious that someone must have opened the box and taken it. I am just heartbroken.
If they asked you to describe the contents, it could be at that post office along with other boxes and even if it isn't, if you insured it, they will have to pay you for that quilt. I hope they have it. Pursue this further. Don't let it drop.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
I truly love how everyone jumps on the "Post Office Stole It" wagon. If you have not worked in one of the big plants, you have no clue. The machinery all packages go thru would blow your mind. Add to that the lack of simple common sense when sending articles is mind boggling. No, one single piece of tape will not guarantee your package will not open. No, do not wrap your box like a Christmas gift. No, do not put a bow on top. Do not place in the same box that should have stayed under your tree. I know I have heard to put the address inside of the box since I was a kid and I'm 62.

Rant over.
I am SO GLAD to see this post!!! I used to work for UPS and have been in many of the hubs. Once I saw a 6 ft aluminum ladder with one leg literally curled up to the outside! that is the force of those packages going through the conveyor system and when the systems jam, people scurry sometime up 4 stories high to break the jam. Meanwhile, some people (not necessarily here!) package things as tho there's a package fairy who's going to twinkle and deliver the package. Taping everywhere isn't going to stop your package from breaking and falling apart in a jam. you'll still have the label and package but the fall-out could be anywhere, including still 4 stories up hooked on a part of the slide. It's the strength of the cardboard AND the security of the inside package, as well as the taping and the clarity of the labeling. And even then, remember the ladder. Things happen. I know that at UPS MILLIONS of packages were shipped daily and i would imagine the volume at the PO is higher. So, understand it isn't personal to you. Yes theft occurs, but you wouldn't BELIEVE the security in all the shipping service companies and that security is sneaky...so if there is a thief, he or she WILL be caught. So, package those boxes with strong cardboard and place a label with the item and then, even then, cross your fingers!
Old 01-08-2015, 08:21 AM

I am sorry your quilt was "lost". I like the idea of sending a photo to that post master and having them review their security tapes. Perhaps the police need to get involved at this point?
Old 01-08-2015, 08:54 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Can't you find out where they found the label and other bits? Then you can have them look at their cameras and see what happened to your box. I iive in a small town, 400 people, and have a P.O. They are so good here. When I send a package, I put it in my large mailbox with a note to bill me for the postage fee and to add tracking. The next day I receive a bill and the tracking number. The lady who delivers my mail honks when I have a package and I go out and get it. We visit often. It's like 1954. I know they don't control the package after it leaves their office, but I've not had any trouble yet (YET means Your Eliglbe Too)
Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 AM

That is horrible! You have to be devastated. My husband used to work for the USPS back when nothing like this ever happened. I wouldn't give up either. I would take a photo to the USPS and tell them to search for your quilt. I doubt it was a local who stole it. Chances are something happened at the sorting facility. And it may not have been malicious. As was stated, this could have happened by a machine ripping open the package and the contents separated from the box with the address label. It could be in a lost pile somewhere in one of the facilities enroute. Don't assume someone is an unscrupulous thief, although that is a possibility. I'm so sorry this happened to you.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:00 AM

You can post a picture of it, then right click it and select "search google for this image" Maybe someone will get dumb and post a pic of it. It's so strange they would take the time to cut the address out of the box. You would think they would just throw it. Sorry it happened to you.

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I totally agree. If you have a photo of the quilt. I would post it. Some one has seen it walk out of the building. That is total bs that they can not do anything else. Contact the post master. See if they have a security video. They are suppose to because of it being a government office. It makes me angry and it isn't even mine to deal with. I would go to television station and bring it to their attention. At least email them. They need to remember Karma is a real *****.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:04 AM

Tessagin has some good suggestions... post a pic; contact TV "investigative reporter" or the like!! security camera info, even if you have to call the LA police...

Everyone has a boss.... go to the next level ...but start with that pic on here and TV esp. since that PO was in the LosAngeles area... good grief! and good luck.