Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pulling my hair out - FMQ (trying to learn) on Janome 6600 - GRRRR >

Pulling my hair out - FMQ (trying to learn) on Janome 6600 - GRRRR

Pulling my hair out - FMQ (trying to learn) on Janome 6600 - GRRRR

Old 01-08-2015, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Leonita View Post
I did invest in FMQ plate & foot. that did help.. Alos purchased the quilting/walking foot SID & I love it. It guides along so SID comes out really nice. Made a big difference.
That SID foot for the Janome is the cat's meow! Love it too!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:13 AM

I've been fmq for several years on my Viking Designer 1 and have never had a problem. Last week I quilted a toddler sized quilt for my grandson. Finish the entire thing and take it off the machine...the tension is all off and I have to rip it all out! Grrrr..because I've never had a problem and I've never had to mess with the tension on my machine I never looked to make sure it was going ok. The thread is pulling to the bottom so I never saw it. Lesson learned. But I still can't figure out what's going on...need to play with it some more.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:21 AM

I have a Janome 7700. I put the stitch length to zero and leave the feed dogs up. I use a supreme slider. I never touch the tension button. I use Aurifil 50 wt and a 14 Schmetz needle and, knock of wood, have never had a problem. Good luck. From another Pat
Old 01-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

I just watched Nancy's Notions with Molly Hanson on doing free motion for beginners.
http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/sewi...for-beginners/
Old 01-08-2015, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by PghPat View Post
I want to thank every last one of your for your responses and help. I think I am on the right track. I have followed everyone's suggestions - a lot of them were things I was already doing/trying but there is such a combination of different things that I'm not sure what I changed that did the trick - like someone said "trial and error". First of all I think that the only thing I was doing differently to start with (compared to when I was quilting halfway decent) was a different bobbin - and I think I have a few bobbins I need to get rid of - including the one that was in my machine. Changing it did make quite a difference.

Then by one suggestion, I remembered I do have a "blue dot" bobbin case and bobbin washers that I haven't used before. Also the Slider (I knew I had one but couldn't find it - which happens often when you go back and forth North and South twice a year). I took the time to really do a thorough search and did find it.

I took some of the suggestions to try leaving the feed dogs up and stitch length to zero, slowed the machine down a bit. I do use Start/Stop button all the time.

Whatever, I seem to have gotten a rhythm that seems to be working and wrote a note on every setting I am using so that I can go back to it in the future. Now I need to - like EVERYONE says - practice, practice, practice. I took one of the many orphan blocks I had and sandwiched it and played with it. I'm enclosing a picture of the stippling/meandering (forget the difference between the two - I think it is acceptable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504349[/ATTACH]
Looks really good to me.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
One of my most liberating classes was watching David Taylor do FMQing. I was trying to stitch way to fast. He stitches at a steady kerthunk, kerthunk, kerthunk. I used that word because as you say the word out loud, that is his speed.
David Taylor is wonderful in teaching you how to love, love, love the process.

Yesterday was my first attempt on a longarm. I rented some time at a local shop. At the end of the day when I was trying to finish up, the thread kept breaking. I see now I must have been going too fast. Afterwards, I realized there was a speed adjuster...that would have helped me as I was trying to not to go too fast.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:46 PM

It took me a year of practice until I got something worth the time. I have found that using an embroidery needle works well. My thread for a while was shredding and frustrating but my husband looked the machine over and found a tiny barb on the shaft from sewing over pins. He managed to sand it down and it is now fine!