Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as Desired??? >

Quilt as Desired???

Quilt as Desired???

Old 01-09-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Surprised that "quilt as desired" is a problem for anyone. Isn't making a quilt your own a main goal of most quilters?
Well, then why not just say "piece as desired" and not offer any pattern at all?
Old 01-09-2015, 01:15 PM

I just spent a couple of hours browsing these sites. Lots of great quilting designs. I should have been quilting!!!!
Thanks for the inspiration

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:36 PM

Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Sure I want to make it my own...but not everyone can mentally envision how the quilting will look. I think my problem is that I might have an idea of what I want, but not sure how to execute it. For instance, I am trying to figure out what I want to do with my current quilt. I think I want a flower in the 16-patch block, but not sure how to tie it in with the 4-square/star sashing blocks. Plus I sometimes get stumped on what path to get from one place to another.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505372[/ATTACH]
On the pic you showed...for example.......I do a lot of " planning" on scribble paper....I go to goodwill, but school notebooks cheap and those become my albums of ideas.......or practice sheets....on some quilts one cannot do a continuous pattern all the time....your 16patch could have a flower, or whatever, and then something else in the sashes...maybe traveling from one to the other in one of the seams. But, a lot of the times I will do each element, tie off and move on...sort of like a stop lite....just to look, check for lint.....or just admire your progress......I also use a magna doodle, another goodwill find, for doodles.....just my way....
Old 01-10-2015, 05:48 AM

I loved the links given for quilting designs. While I usually send my quilts out to be done, I'm starting to do smaller items that I can do on my home machine. These links were a God-send to me!!!
Old 01-11-2015, 07:14 AM

I usually cut a piece of paper the size of the block where I want the design. In your case, I would do the 16-patch and another paper with the sashing 4-square plus the other rectangular block. Then I use a pencil to try out designs. Like Maureen NJ, I recommend Cindy Needham's websites. If you search for Cindy Needham Ultimate Stencil, you will find a Free 27 page handbook for download that has two pages of diagrams you can print which gives guide lines to help you draw. She also has videos to show how to use the diagrams.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:34 AM

I do draw out my designs...I bought a roll of Exam Table paper from the medical supply store for $5 a few years ago. Still have a ton left. It's very economical to use. I just like to see examples of how certain patterns transform a quilt. Things that you wouldn't expect can sometimes totally transform a quilt. That Cindy Needham stencil looks interesting, I'll have to watch the videos. I did sign up for one of her Craftsy classes. I need to go back to that. So much to do, so little time.