Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy Scout Honor--pattern >

Boy Scout Honor--pattern

Boy Scout Honor--pattern

Old 01-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

there are quite a number of ideas here [and the first pic looks like Polly C's avatar]
https://www.google.com/search?q=eagl...Q&ved=0CB0QsAQ
Old 01-08-2015, 06:56 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Here's a kit.

http://fabricmill.blogspot.com/2014/...available.html
Old 01-09-2015, 05:33 AM

I found a free pattern at Walmart which featured twenty stylized American flags. I made it up according to the pattern directions then quilted an eagle across the face of each flag with a five-pointed star in each of the blocks' four corners. I am not a free-hand artist by any means, either drawing, sketching, or painting, so I found a silhouette of an eagle with its wings outspread on the internet. I printed it out twenty times, pinned one atop each flag, stitched over the design, then ripped the paper away. I did the same thing for each of the eighty stars. It didn't take very long, but the finished quilt was really spectacular [in my opinion, anyway]. My grandson really seems to like it. It stays on his bed throughout the year -- even during the hottest summer months!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:42 AM

My son received his Eagle a number of years ago. I have been searching and purchasing fabrics over time that reflect his work as a scout and also has wonderfully goofy self. The pattern I plan on using is called "String Theory" but I have see it under many other names. It is simply multiple columns of flying geese with a sashing between. Each piece will have a goose "body " of a print or pattern that is about his scout or life work. The wings will be coordinating solids. the sashing will all be either Boy Scout green or Cub Scout blue. I am a scrappy lover so this feeds my scrappy heart and will tell the story of my son who I am so proud of for his accomplishments.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:50 AM

I have a son close to Eagle also. So I've been keeping an eye on "eagle quilts" for the future. It's just my opinion, but I think a quilt made in the Scout colors of green and red and gold and navy to represent the award will be better appreciated in the future than an actual quilt using scout fabric. Sometimes the scout fabric has younger scouts on it. Once they make eagle, they are done with scouting. They consider themselves grown and don't look back. It's what Scout leaders call the "fumes", they smell perfumes and car fumes and it's a new stage in their life. Whatever you do will be appreciated but much later in life.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:18 PM

Yes Eagle in Center, maybe a Block in each corner that would represent 4 of his Favorite merit Badges. Or you could do Blocks around the entire Quilt -Each one for a Merit Badge... or The Border Blocks could be made in the number of merit badges he completed or Appliques showing what he did for his Eagle Project.. Lots of Ideas there..
and you could just use the Boy Scout Colors on the Back ....
My Oldest Son made Eagle Scout... its a nice Accomplishment and Order of the Arrow, He also went on an International Camp out on Pelee Island Canada out in Lake Erie... and Hiking in the Adirondack Mountains in NY State. and White Water Rafting down in PA.. So Scouting is a lot of Fun, I was a Registered Adult Scouter for over 13 yrs..
Old 01-09-2015, 04:33 PM

If you check ebay under boy scout fabric you might find the prints that were available a few years ago. I make my son one for his Eagle. The material has merit badges and another rank patches along with red and khaki prints.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:46 AM

Elkebees and Thousands of Bolts both have Eagle patterned fabric.

Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
I am trying to find a pattern for a quilt for our grandson as he reaches his Scouting Award--The Eagle. It needs to not be complicated, and I am not in a great big hurry.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Marah
Old 01-10-2015, 05:50 AM

My grandson achieved Eagle rank last spring. I wanted to make him a quilt honoring his achievement, and he said, "Absolutely NOT". He said his memories were good enough.

Kauffman had a licensing disagreement with the BSA and GSA, and decided to discontinue making the fabric.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:03 PM

My son too made Eagle Scout almost 20 years ago. We are so proud of his accomplishment. I bought some BSA fabric from Mary Maxims in Port Huron Michigan. You might check their website and see if they still have it. I know they had fat quarters. Both my husband and then myself were Scoutmaster of our troop. We truly enjoyed it and the friends we made have been lasting. Good luck with your quilt. Can't wait to see what you do.