Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Messed up Mom's fudge recipe.  Help???? >

Messed up Mom's fudge recipe. Help????

Messed up Mom's fudge recipe. Help????

Old 12-04-2014, 07:32 PM

My mother made very good fudge. I have never been able to make it. I even get the No-fail Fudge to fail. I also envy anyone who can make good fudge.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
As an 18 year old newly wed I thought my sister in law was just telling old wives tales when she said to be sure it was a sunny day when I made divinity. Well, turns out she was right. Candy like divinity, fudge or peanut brittle made on a cloudy day will never set up.
I gave up on divinity when I moved to Washinton state. Although I have a no fail recipe using jello. I do an old family peanut butter recipe and adding marshmallow fluff.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:58 PM

It can be saved. If it's grainy, just reheat to soft ball stage and set up again. I forget what to do if appears too liquidy.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:14 PM

Divinity I just put it in a pan like I do fudge and cut like fudge. to difficult when working alone with it to do the 'dollup' method.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:31 AM

May I add one more hint to the above? We are warned not to stir, but when the boil climbs the pan we can't resist stirring it down. A long (long, long!) time ago, I picked up the hint to butter the sides of the pan so the fudge would not ''climb''. I try to do this after the pan is hot and the ingred are blended over heat. It certainly helps.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
May I add one more hint to the above? We are warned not to stir, but when the boil climbs the pan we can't resist stirring it down. A long (long, long!) time ago, I picked up the hint to butter the sides of the pan so the fudge would not ''climb''. I try to do this after the pan is hot and the ingred are blended over heat. It certainly helps.
I have seen the note about not stirring, but if I don't occasionally stir, the bottom of the pan will burn.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
We always followed the same recipe silbram 17 posted but we added a couple of Tablespoons of white syrup (Karo was all we had for years) to the recipe before cooking started.

Some key things I remember. If you mix the cocoa powder with the sugar, then add the milk, your cocoa will mix up better. Add the Karo after the milk is stirred in. Try not to stir the mixture after it comes to a boil, unless you have to. Stirring while the mixture is cooking or starting to beat the fudge before it cools down enough, will make it grainy. It's all about patience. If you are adding nuts to the recipe, add them right at the last of beating. Any earlier will give your beating arm a workout.

fyi....the recipe we used was from the Hershey Cocoa box except that we only used 1/2 cup of cocoa. We all like milk chocolate better than dark chocolate. http://www.ehow.com/how_2205012_hers...ate-fudge.html
I think you might be right about cutting back on the cocoa, it is pretty strong tasting. Still working on getting it right though. It didn't work out yesterday at all, the recipe I posted doesn't to make much fudge at all. Or maybe it's because so much of it wants to stick to the bottom of the sauce pan.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:10 PM

My Mom made the best fudge & it was made from the Hersery can. It was great! I can't make it like she did but close.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:40 PM

I always make the fudge recipe on the Nestle Morsel package, it uses less sugar (I don't like super sweet fudge).

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk (2⁄3 cup)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1 7 ounce jar Marshmallow Cream
1 1/2 cups Nestlé Toll House Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Additional Butter to coat bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan.

Prepare 8-inch square baking pan.

In medium, heavy-duty saucepan, combine sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt. Bring to full rolling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Add marshmallow cream, chocolate morsels, nuts and vanilla extract. Stir vigorously for 1 minute, or until marshmallow cream and morsels are melted.

Pour into prepared baking pan and refrigerate for 2 hours, or until firm.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:03 PM

I made Toffee at Christmas time and it was not good. After doing some research, I found that you have to use salted butter and not unsalted. I will have to remember that the next time I make it. Maybe it is the same with Fudge. It is worth a try.