Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 01-11-2015, 07:24 AM

Was not on the 'puter enough to catch the first clues for this mystery. I was cleaning my sewing room. Ha! Ha! I have a block to finish and get ready to mail and some blocks to finish for a swap. That will leave me with two swaps and then I can start this adventure!
I have a large collection of 5" charms that is the result of many swaps that I hosted many years ago. They have to be used up. I'm wondering about sewing them into 4-patches and then trimming them back to a 61/2" square would be the way to go. It seems like it would take less time then trimming them (the charms) back individually then sewing and and trimming again. Hope this makes sense!
If I hurry I can still catch the train, if not then I will get on at the station next Saturday! See you there!
Old 01-11-2015, 07:50 AM

Wow, lots of activity yesterdya, sorry I missed it all. I had been to an all day embroidery workshop on Thursday and taught a mystery one-day class at my LQS on Friday, so was really exhausted yesterday. Read and puttered all day yesterday, was not at all productive!

Siodach, yes you can use strings for the 6-1/2" center, but I don't think you will be able to use strings for the rest of the quilt. Well, MAYBE in week 4 you could use strings again, you will have to look at the clue and decide what you want to do. Would that work for you?

Grammahunt, making the amount for two tops would give you enough for a nice sized quilt if you wanted a bigger one.

Sunrise, yes, making a 4-patch of your charms and then trimming to 6-1/2" would by far be the quickest way to go.

So nice to see all the returning faces, it lets me know you like my little mysteries! There are also some silent returnees (is that a word?) who I haven't seen posting, but got a PM from a few of you. And lots of new faces, too, I hope you'll have fun on this ride, we are a great bunch to travel with, as you can see already from all the chatter.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:53 AM

Oh, and meant to say, all of you running a bit behind, I've asked the engineer to slow waaaay down so you can hop on board, don't want you to have to wait for the next station stop!
Old 01-11-2015, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Wow, I just seen this train start today and already there are 7 pages to read. I think it will be another great ride Judy. Thanks again,this is my third ride and it promises to be another interesting and fun time. Gotta go get my scraps ready,
Old 01-11-2015, 08:27 AM

If you don't have a 3.5" template, this is a good time to pick one up.
And treat yourself to a new blade.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:32 AM

the sewing and then trimming to size works great .... one of my four patches was made from a charm, a 4 inch square (give away at a quilt run) and two leftover 6 inch blocks....ok wasted a bit of fabric but it probably would never have gotten to be in a quilt otherwise.... so the fabric is happy and it really made me smile as I trimmed it to size after final pressing.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:02 AM

I made it. Thanks for slowing down the train, Judy! Hope the coffee pot is full 'cuz I brought some cranberry-orange scones to munch on.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:12 AM

I want to join the Mystery Train Rid # 8. Hope the following steps will be on this quiltingboard.com so now I will get busy and sew my 12 4 patches. Thanks for the mystery.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:17 AM

Mine are done. A couple of the squares look a little light but I will reconsider them later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00537 (640x480).jpg
Views:	454
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	505622  
Old 01-11-2015, 09:36 AM

Florence, don't change anything right now, you might be able to work around your lighs. But they sure are pretty all laid out like this!

Dotty, you are absolutely right -- a 3-1/2" square is invaluable!

Is it Saturday yet? No? Oh darn, can't wait. Maybe I should have made this one a three-hour mystery, I think someone did something like that one time. I could post late Friday night, and everyone would have all day to finish!