Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using old fabric for charity quilts >

Using old fabric for charity quilts

Using old fabric for charity quilts

Old 01-12-2015, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
So many great ideas! Thank you all so much! I will try ironing the fabric to see if the odor comes back. If so, I have numerous options to try thanks to you all! And if it doesn't work, I'll talk to the animal shelter. They must get much worse odors in there, and I'm sure the animals would appreciate something newer, at least.
Now I'm scared, my daughter gave me a huge box, I'm talking 12' long by3' wide & 3' deep full of a quilters scraps and yardage, I immediately smelled the "old" smell, didn't tell her of course. It took me a week to wash each load 3 times including an overnight soak for each load to get the smell out with laundry det, vinegar, Borax, OdorBan & Baking soda. Now I hear the odor may come back with ironing!! If that happens it's all out the door! Too much time & soaps used already! Cross your fingers for me please.
Jeri
Old 01-12-2015, 08:32 PM

Hopefully that will take care of it, might need another round of the vinegar soak. I've been there, can't stand the basement smell but I've had good luck with Borax & vinegar & also used unscented detergents because I have a problem with perfumes, I like Tide Free & Clear best. Those basement smell fabrics should never be used for sick people, I won't even use them for the pet beds I make for animal shelters.
A couple of times I've soaked fabrics overnight with vinegar & borax, that has really helped.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:12 AM

I found something that takes out oders. Long story short.....My kitten knocked over an oil lamp Friday. I wasn't thinking so I threw the tablecloth into the washer to deal with later. Had BAD cold this weekend. Not thinking ...again..... Threw in load of laundry Sunday night for work on monday. OOPs everything came out smelling like kerosine. Two washes and smell still very strong. Bought Odor Control by Zep for $9.99 at work last night. 3 washes and 1/2 gallon of Odor control and the smell is gone. Completely. I even dried some to test. No smell. Not even the laundry soap smell. Alot of money saved that I won't have to replace alot of work jeans and shirts. YEA!! I can now recomment it at work, too when asked.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:42 AM

craftygater, there were just posts about toxic chemicals in fabric and laundry. Zep is extremely toxic, its a "Registered Pesticide". I would be careful recommending it AND using it. here is the MSDS From their own
http://images.zepcommercial.com/engl...MSDS-ZUOCC.pdf
Old 01-13-2015, 11:27 AM

If you are still aggravated by it I would not gift it. I would not gift it if the smell is still there. Wondering how well the fabric would hold up with it being that old too.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:36 AM

Try Sew Fresh .

sandy
Old 01-13-2015, 11:54 AM

I am from Canada so I'm not familiar with your Odoban or Nokout products. I did follow the links above but I am concerned that those of you with alergies and breathing issues are just trading one bad thing for another. Have any of you heard of Melaleuca? It is manufactured in Idaho and is made with no harsh chemicals (Melaleuca oil is Tea Tree Oil). It removes odors and stains better than anything I have tried. My septic system LOVES the cleaning and laundry products. Lots of people with sensitivities and alergies switch their homes over to Melaleuca products and see major improvements once the chemicals from the grocery store are gone. I don't want to abuse the system here with "sales" info but if you want more info private message me. I really think it will take care of your smoke, mold, mildew stinky issues and keep the fabric child-friendly.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I would probably try soaking overnight in water and vinegar and/or OxyClean. If there is still an odor in the fabric that you can detect, chances are it is mold. I would set aside that fabric for making rag rugs and not use it in a quilt.

Edit: Here are a couple of websites with methods to try.
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Musty-Smell-from-Clothes
http://blackmold.awardspace.com/black-mold-clothes.html

You could also try soaking/washing the fabric in Nok-Out, but that starts getting pricey:
https://www.nokout.com/home.php
mold generally shows up on fabric
Old 01-13-2015, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by beaqltr View Post
try a little bleach, mix it with water and pour it in the bleach hole when you rewash it.

Otherwise a lightly scented detergent (nothing strong like tide).
no bleach on printed cotton!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by misschris View Post
I find that with my thrift store finds. Many times a thrift store will get a ton of fabric from someone who has passed. Occasionally that fabric can smell musty. Being the frugal person I am I usually grab the fabric and I will wash in vinegar/laundry detergent and that takes care of it. I agree hanging on the clothes line outdoors works wonders but for those of us in the chilly winter climates that is not an option.
No reason in the world by fabric can't be hung in the cold----------unless it's never ever sunny or warm.