Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Okay, here's another applique question >

Okay, here's another applique question

Okay, here's another applique question

Old 01-06-2010, 12:16 PM

Thanks, Barbara. I knew you'd understand. Most people don't look at it this way until they're educated as to the reason for Copyrights in the first place.

And...give yourself more credit. Your work doesn't look like a beginner's to me :) Great job.

By the way, the pattern is also available in my first book from C&T, At Home With Patrick Lose, in case anyone has that.

Thanks for understanding and I hope you'll educate others :)
Old 01-06-2010, 07:14 PM

Yes, I agree, I love to applique, but really did not read about it, so I am picking up some good tips. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:46 AM

I'll be sure to tell my hubby not to ever buy a quilt book and gift it to me for christmas...good to know :)
Old 01-07-2010, 09:40 AM

I've been thinking about this too. Patrick, if you're still reading, what about books donated to Goodwill and resold--or sold back to our Portland Powell's bookstore to be resold as used books--or the "Amazon Marketplace" where people sell their used books? Any comments about that? I know a pattern isn't a book, and maybe there is a difference, but now I am wondering about some of these practices.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by bstanbro
I've been thinking about this too. Patrick, if you're still reading, what about books donated to Goodwill and resold--or sold back to our Portland Powell's bookstore to be resold as used books--or the "Amazon Marketplace" where people sell their used books? Any comments about that? I know a pattern isn't a book, and maybe there is a difference, but now I am wondering about some of these practices.
The copyright statements on most works are pretty clear but I admit that I don't know how to relay all of the details myself or am not able to go into all of what I do know. And I'm not an attorney but I do have a good one who advises me.

A lot of it boils down to intent. It's not copyright infringement to buy a book as a gift for someone...same as buying a CD or DVD. You have paid for your purpose and you didn't make a copy for yourself or others before giving it. Patterns and books and lots of other creative works are treated the same.

If you intend to make copies to pass out, swap, share, etc., that is definitely against the copyright laws unless you have been given explicit license to do so. (For example, we sometimes grant license to the person who purchased the book to make one copy of a certain part for their own use because it allows them to keep the book intact. It will say so in the book - so that if you take the book to your local copy center, they will make the copy for you or allow you to. I get lots of phone calls and emails from copy centers asking for permission, which I almost always grant)

There has been an awful lot of press lately about the federal government cracking down on those who copy/download music without paying for it and, basically, it's the same with books, patterns, artwork, etc. The general public has been warned, such as in the opening statements on DVDs, that it's illegal to do this and feigning ignorance of these laws doesn't work in court anymore.

There are companies in the quilting and craft industries that police websites and blogs to be sure their copyrights are not being violated. I just happened to see that you made innocent mention of this here and wanted to give a little advice. The copyright laws protect my rights to my work which I license to my readers/audience. These rights of ownership are mine and never transferred to someone who buys a book or pattern. In that case the rights are only licensed to them.

Like I said, I'm no attorney but just trying to make people understand what they are doing when they perpetuate this practice. I could go on and on but there are lots of resources on the internet and I would rather everyone take a look there because I don't want to say the wrong thing or seem like a jerk. I love doing what I do and appreciate my audience very much. But this is how I earn my living and it's unfair when people take advantage or steal.

I hope this explains, even if just a little. And I appreciate your interest in doing the right thing.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 PM

Well Barbara, you didnt do anything wrong. You not only told everyone in your post the name of the pattern, but also where it could be found. You gave full credit to Patrick. And then you were generous enough to say that you were finished with this pattern, and would be happy to gift it to someone here. You weren't planning on making photocopies, etc. Not only that, Patrick then came on here, and managed to give himself some nice free advertising, making sure that he posted his website. Pretty good deal huh Patrick, don't you think? I think so. Not only that, i find everyone here is usually very careful to give full credit to where a pattern came from, and where it can be purchased from. That's because we are a great group of caring and honest people.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Barb M
Well Barbara, you didnt do anything wrong. You not only told everyone in your post the name of the pattern, but also where it could be found. You gave full credit to Patrick. And then you were generous enough to say that you were finished with this pattern, and would be happy to gift it to someone here. You weren't planning on making photocopies, etc. Not only that, Patrick then came on here, and managed to give himself some nice free advertising, making sure that he posted his website. Pretty good deal huh Patrick, don't you think? I think so. Not only that, i find everyone here is usually very careful to give full credit to where a pattern came from, and where it can be purchased from. That's because we are a great group of caring and honest people.
Sounds like someone has a chip on their shoulder. I never accused Barbara of doing anything wrong. However, she was offering to swap, which is trading for something in return, not gifting. Reasonable, informed, and respectful quilters simply don't do this.

I really don't need any free advertising and came here to see if this was another forum I'd like to belong to. I keep in touch with my audience and industry friends in many ways.

In any case, know your legal rights and respect others'.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Her intent was a generous one. I definitely wont ever buy any of your patterns or books.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:04 PM

It's illegal to be generous with someone else's property...even if it's intellectual property. I don't have anything else to say here.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:45 PM

Well Patrick, this is what you said:
"A lot of it boils down to intent...You have paid for your purpose and you didn't make a copy for yourself or others before giving it. Patterns and books and lots of other creative works are treated the same."

And then you said:
"Reasonable, informed, and respectful quilters simply don't do this."

So i really think you should treat Barbara with more respect. After all, she is one of your customers.