Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!  Jelly roll race quilt too square >

HELP! Jelly roll race quilt too square

HELP! Jelly roll race quilt too square

Old 01-14-2015, 02:24 PM

Get another jelly roll and go around the exterior and around and around....
Old 01-14-2015, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

just lengthen top and bottom.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:59 PM

I cut mine about 1/3 of the way across the quilt and added a plain strip of fabric in a coordinating color to get it longer.

I liked it so much I did another one in baby size and appliqued flowers on the plain strip.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
I know this will not solve your problem for this quilt, but I think that you must have taken much more than 1/4" seams when sewing the strips together. I counted 32 rows in the quilt, and that is what you should have when you are done. Each strip should finish at 2". 2" x 32 strips = 64". Double check your seams for the next one! P
Otherwise, I think the idea of adding more strips to the top and/or bottom would solve your problem. Hope you can find the same fabric or close. It's a very pretty combination.
Yes. I did make my seams a little bigger than 1/4". I also sewed some of the seams apparently the wrong way because some of the mitres came up in opposite directions. I'm not really happy with it, but it was my first, so it is ok. I love the fabric so much that it kind of makes up for it.

I bought a crazy quilt pattern that I love and some expensive Downton Abbey Fabric. I read the directions and was a little confused, so I decided to do a test quilt out of some other material, just in case! I should have down that with my jelly roll race quilt before I used fabric I loved. But the directions looked so easy that I didn't think I could mess it! Guess I was wrong.

But really, I think I am going to try and just add some more strips on the end. I think I have figured out how many strips to use so I could do the jelly roll race method.

40" x 13 strips = 520"

520/52 width = 10 rows added

So, if I get 13 new strips of material, it should add 10 new rows to the bottom of my quilt. That would be about 15 more inches. So in total it would be 52" wide by 65" long.

Maggie
Old 01-18-2015, 11:16 AM

Determine the width of your finished strips, and add enough rows to reach the finished size you are looking for.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:57 PM

Slice it into 2.5 strips and sew them back together reversing every other one. If you do this, please post a picture.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by maggiew View Post
Yes. I did make my seams a little bigger than 1/4". I also sewed some of the seams apparently the wrong way because some of the mitres came up in opposite directions. I'm not really happy with it, but it was my first, so it is ok. I love the fabric so much that it kind of makes up for it.

I bought a crazy quilt pattern that I love and some expensive Downton Abbey Fabric. I read the directions and was a little confused, so I decided to do a test quilt out of some other material, just in case! I should have down that with my jelly roll race quilt before I used fabric I loved. But the directions looked so easy that I didn't think I could mess it! Guess I was wrong.

But really, I think I am going to try and just add some more strips on the end. I think I have figured out how many strips to use so I could do the jelly roll race method.

40" x 13 strips = 520"

520/52 width = 10 rows added

So, if I get 13 new strips of material, it should add 10 new rows to the bottom of my quilt. That would be about 15 more inches. So in total it would be 52" wide by 65" long.

Maggie
I am so glad you have a plan to get the quilt the way you want!! I agree that it will work and will look great. Your fabric is beautiful, and the final quilt will be too. You have to be proud of it!!

Dina