Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Kate Henry's PVC structure idea >

Kate Henry's PVC structure idea

Kate Henry's PVC structure idea

Old 01-15-2015, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
I made a similar thing but I used dog grooming arms from Amazon. Just clamp them to your table and add clamps to the already attached ropes. Here are the ones I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Equipme...oming+supplies

They cost a bit more but they are easier to set up and you can take them down in a jiffy!
And in between, you can groom your dog.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:39 AM

I love the dog grooming arms, I have four of them. I love that they can be taken down and set up quickly.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:36 AM

I have a (maybe dumb) question. I definitely want to try this quilting system. I have only quilted one quilt, and it was SITD, but I do want to learn other techniques.

My question is - how would I made the frame larger to fit a QS or KS quilt?

Thanks!!
Old 01-15-2015, 08:42 AM

I like Kate's idea of using a small throw to hide the structure when not in use. Would help visual clutter in our small space. Now ifs I can just get my DH to help create the frame.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:57 AM

This has turned into fun posts. Had some giggles, great way to start a day. Daughter is coming in and out, she is waiting to start classes on pp. To answer Ladydukes question. You can fold larger quilts, clip quilts in middle. I have not had a problem with larger quilts. Thanks again for such fun posts. kate
Old 01-15-2015, 10:38 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Ok I can't resist any longer! I have to share my story My dear husband made me one of these a few months ago right before our Snowvember storm here in WNY. The first morning after we finished making it, I went down to my sewing studio to use it and I smelled gas. 911 told us to get out of the house and they sent the fire department. Of course DH stayed and took the guys downstairs. The gas pipe coming into the house was right next to the "set-up" and the firemen looked at it very puzzled. So DH told them it was an adult toy (think 50 shades of Gray!) Now whenever I use it I have to smile!!! PS Gas company came put in a new valve even in that stormy weather!!!! Oh and l love the set-up no matter what it looks like!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

That looks like a somewhat simple idea that works wonders for your FMQ. Thanks for sharing this tip.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:53 PM

I like this idea a LOT but my sewing room is the living room and it's crazy enough in there already, I think this structure would be just a little too much. I like the dog grooming arms idea, though! Or maybe I could rig some sort of "holder" attached to my table that I could just pop the top part in and out of so I could only have it up when it's actually needed. I'll have to think about this...I was FMQ'ing a queen a few weeks ago and wondering why I ever thought that was a good idea, LOL. I got it done, but it wasn't really fun or easy. This would help a lot, I think.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:39 PM

My husband made something similar for me, works great! The only thing I noticed different is your clamps, at first we tried that type of clamp but they were just too hard for these old hands to open, someone suggested rachetting (sp?) clamps-they are super, so easy to open & close & are secure, much better for my hands.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=LyndaOH;7046502]I made a similar thing but I used dog grooming arms from Amazon. Just clamp them to your table and add clamps to the already attached ropes. Here are the ones I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Equipme...oming+supplies

Lynda, That looks very interesting. How many did you need, and for what size table?