This is why we give quilts - not sell them >

This is why we give quilts - not sell them

This is why we give quilts - not sell them

Old 01-15-2015, 09:56 PM
Power Poster

Learn and live - -
Old 01-16-2015, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

I find it impossible to put a price on my work. I am currently doing a memory wall hanging (30 x 30) out of nightgown material. I don't even know the lady and I don't want to charge her. You made a beautiful quilt but I agree, $2.66 an hour? I hope that was a joke.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:20 AM

People who do woodworking even as a hobby do not do it for free. My husband restores old cars and he does not do it for free. People who make jewelry do not do it for free. Whatever your hobby is, the only reason I can see to do it for free is for someone you love. I don't do my quilting for free and have long refused to do paid work because I want to quilt for my family and special friends. You NEVER get paid what you are worth in the quilting world unless you are someone very famous.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:01 AM

Oh, please learn to value yourself and your talents. I have just been told a friend's daughter is going to 'try' to get pregnant next year. She never sent a thank you for the first quilt, so she ain't getting a second one! If folks ask for a quilt, I say I'll check my calendar. At the top of each page I've written the word, "No." So then it's not a lie, because the calendar does say no. It is rare for me to be able to finish a quilt for myself and I guard my sewing time. No 'nice guy' here. I don't care if they like me or not. Let them take their own classes, buy a machine, and all that it entails.
Love yourself first!
Old 01-16-2015, 05:40 AM

I had a call from a man I know during the summer that wanted two queen size patch work quilts and I told him $300 a piece, he tired to talk me down to $250 each and I told him $300. He agreed and asked if they would be ready by Christmas and I said yes. When I got them ready and called him this is what he said. I talk to my wife. My response was. What is there to talk to you ordered them, and he never called me back, there went my Christmas money. Since I knew him I didn't get a down payment and since he called me and asked me I was sure he wanted them, so you never can tell about people they always want something for nothing.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:51 AM

NO thread???? How does she think, this beautiful quilt of yours is held together? I'm so very sorry that your boss was so unkind to you. You did such a wonderful job on this. You need to print up your own spreadsheet with the prices on it (just basic prices as of 2015 - this also needs to be printed on the top). Such as quilting charges ie:1.5 cents per square inch - thread charges per spool (multiplied by the average number of spools used on a queen size quilt). Also show the average price per spool of specialty thread (again multiplied out). Also show the average number of hours spent cutting out a queen sized quilt (again always put it subject to change depending on the size, number of colors, number of changes in size and shapes per quilt). Number of design hours (from concept to shopping for fabric and notations to our layout walls - again this will depend on size and complexity of the quilt). List the average price of quality quilting fabric (I always use middle range of fabric prices from my LQS - without coupons or discounts). The same goes for backing (list the average price for backing - NOT pieced, you can also list a simple pieced backing charge - again no discounts used). Do the same for batting listing what is your preference to use. Also try to list an average number of hours for a quilt (some of us sew faster some slower, but we all put a LOT into our quilts so you need to get at least $10.00 per hour). Then show your totals and in large bold print "PRICES CHANGE DAILY AT THE LQS, SO THESE PRICES CAN CHANGE TOO" Also ALL supplies must be paid for in full and a 50% deposit must be made before ANY work can be started.
Then print it up and keep it at your desk. This way if you're asked again (I'm sure your boss will ask at the deal she got this time), you can show the chart and they can think about it. This will get you out of having to always say no as well as always eating the price of someone else's gift.
I found that when I charted out a middle of the road quilt, with prices and hours involved. I stopped selling myself short and so did the people who wanted me to work on something for them. Most people have no idea of what it takes (and some times we forget what all it takes), to make a quilt. Update your list every 6 months. Good luck
Old 01-16-2015, 05:52 AM

Sorry this happened but as others had said - people just don't realize the amount of time that goes into making a quilt. A friend/co-worker asked me several years ago if I could repair a quilt she had that came from her mom. I said yes and spent at least 40-50 hours replacing some of the crazy patches (with fabric from my stash) and doing hand embroidery similar to what had been there. Did some retying and called to let her know it was ready. When she came to pick it up she gave me $30 and asked if that was enough - I hesitated and then she gave me another $20. Needless to say I won't be working on that quilt again if I should be asked. We all learn things the hard way.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by jeanne49 View Post
This is exactly why my mother would not make clothing for people. There were 4 kids in our family and I never had clothing that came from a store, except for underwear, until I graduated high school. She made everything for me and my sister - coats, all our clothing, hats and scarves and she also made the suits that my Dad and brothers wore. A neighbor had a friend who wanted dress made and asked my Mom to do it. Now this was the mid 50's and fabric and patterns didn't cost what they do now but then nothing does. Anyway, this woman expected to just pay for the material and thought my Mom would only charge her like $5.00 to make it. My Mom asked her how much her husband made per hour and why did she expect someone who made something in their home to work for any less. Needless to say she never made the dress and vowed never to make anything for another "outsider" again.

It's unfortunate that some people don't quite understand how much time and effort is put into our quilts. Hope you don't make another one for this woman unless she comes up with a lot more money.
I love your Mother!! We need more woman like her in this world! It is one thing to gift, it is quite another, when someone asks you to make something. So now you are really in a pickle, do you continue "giving" your boss quilts for all her family/friends or do you tell her the truth?
Old 01-16-2015, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

A few years ago I sat down and did some serious figuring. I included everything that I could think of in this. If it were a business, I would be including everything, even electricity for the light and sewing machine, and gasoline to get to the store. After two hours of listing all that came into my mind, I came up with a figure of 19 cents a square inch (hand quilted). That may not sound like much, but a lap quilt of 45 x 60 inches would be $513.00. People will think twice when you list it this way.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:29 AM

Fast food workers in my area get paid $10.00 an hour, minimum wage is $8.00. She owes you a lot more money. I live in a neighborhood with people in their late 30's and early 40's. That all have kids and have asked me to mend, make costumes, and embroider stuff for them. The answer has always been NO! I tell them that I do my sewing and embroidery as a hobby and then I recommend a local alterations place. I have to started to pass out the newsletters from my LQS and sewing center hoping they will take the hint and learn to sew.