Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Idea Questions >

Design Idea Questions

Design Idea Questions

Old 01-16-2015, 10:39 PM

Default Design Idea Questions

I was going to make a Minecraft quilt, using printable fabric and screen shots from the computer game. I have two idea, but am not sure what idea to go with.

The first idea I'm thinking about is just having squares all the same size, some of which have the printed pictures, and the other squares fabric that is in the same color scheme.

The second idea I'm thinking of, is having pictures be a large center, and go around the pictures, log cabin style.

Picturing it in my head, I can picture the second one, but not the first, but as this will only be my third quilt, both of the other two having been simply squares, that one seems easier to do.

I could use the advice of some more experienced quilters.

Thank you for reading.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:18 AM
Power Poster

Start with some graph paper and draw out your two choices, I use colored pencils often to help visualize blocks see how they will come together. Side note- be careful about copyright infringement issues when using ( screen shots) if it is not ( free clip art) you might need permission to use the pictures. Often it is easy to get, send an email request, letting the ( copyright owner) know your plan and ask for written permission- if they grant it make sure to save/ print the permission and keep it. Some companies will go to great lengths to ( punish/ stop) someone from showing, displaying their creation if ( stolen images were used). If No One will ever see your creation - no worries- but if you want to share it, especially over the internet/ social media it is best to be protected
Old 01-17-2015, 06:55 AM

If you don't mind "wasting" some ink then I would photocopy and/or print the images and your fabric. Cut the shapes that you intend to use and lay them out. This gives you an exact model of the block and you don't waste any fabric.