Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a borderless quilt...Need Tips Please >

Making a borderless quilt...Need Tips Please

Making a borderless quilt...Need Tips Please

Old 01-16-2015, 06:33 AM

One idea I use, I attach my binding before I quilt, and that is how I get all the points OK. I make it wider, and then only quilt to the edge of it.

Then after I take it off the frame, I fold it back to the seam, and cut the backing and batting to the amount I want (1/2" or 1"), then I flip it over and using the new cut edge, I measure and cut the binding long enough to run under with a turned edge.

I don't like putting on bias binding, and I find doing this gives me a good edge for putting on the quilt frame, and then I get my points were I want them.

This is the only picture I could find - that part that looks like a narrow border actually becomes the binding when the quilt is compelte. I cut it at 2.5" wide and I trimmed it after quilting so when I turned it over to the back, each side had about 5/8" showing. But that way my points were fine and squaring up was easier, and I didn't have to worry about any edge seams opening up. The important part is not to quilt into the part that will become the binding.

I know this quilt does have a border, but since the border has points - the theory is the same.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:57 AM

I mostly do borderless, I think. At least half, anyway. I don't do a lot of points, most of my quilts are really blocky so I don't do anything special at all. I'm guilty of not really squaring my quilts up much though too...although (maybe since they're fairly simple and blocky) they usually end up pretty darn square on their own. (Literally, even; most of my quilts are square, LOL)

I have done some with points though and for those, to avoid covering the points up with the binding, I will put a very thin border on that matches whatever I decide is the "background"; I'll cut it to about 1-1/2" before putting it on, and then once it's on I trim it down to 1/2" and THAT is what the binding overlaps.

I think I like Macybaby's technique though, I never thought of that, it seems very clever! I'll have to try it.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:31 AM

Macy Baby, that is a sweet, little quilt. When I was a little girl, I was totally horse crazy. I would have loved a quilt like that! I think that I get what you are saying...sew binding on FIRST, then trim and quilt. Do I have that right?

"I have done some with points though and for those, to avoid covering the points up with the binding, I will put a very thin border on that matches whatever I decide is the "background"; I'll cut it to about 1-1/2" before putting it on, and then once it's on I trim it down to 1/2" and THAT is what the binding overlaps."

Sewnoma, I was thinking of doing that; just adding a skinny border and using that to attach your binding to. My points would be nice and sharp, provided I didn't mess them up when adding the border.

~ C
Old 01-17-2015, 06:07 AM

I made a borderless quilt recently. Sent it to be long armed and until I read this thread I never gave a thought to potential issues. I did stay stitch the edges. I saw a quick photo of the quilting and I'm thinking the binding will be a challenge where feathers extend to edges. I have my fingers crossed that my excellent long armer took that into consideration. It comes back soon. I always get so much good information here. Next time I'll be thinking about the details of making quilts borderless.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
That's an interesting tip...thanks.

Thank you to everyone else too. I think that I'm most worried about lopping off my points. I suppose that I could make the quilt top slightly larger, so that when I go to trim and sew on binding, the points are preserved. I would imagine that squaring up could be a nightmare, if it wasn't squared several times along the way. Maybe I should make something that doesn't involve points along the edge.

~ C
If you are using the on point setting you can make the outside corner and side triangles larger than needed. The quilt will float within and you will have room to trim. When doing one like this, I like to use a flange binding if I use the same fabric as the outside triangle that acts like a border. Doesn't take much, 1/8 to 1/4 in. flange.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:23 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
If you are using the on point setting you can make the outside corner and side triangles larger than needed. The quilt will float within and you will have room to trim. When doing one like this, I like to use a flange binding if I use the same fabric as the outside triangle that acts like a border. Doesn't take much, 1/8 to 1/4 in. flange.

A flange border...I hadn't thought of that...thanks! We're getting all kinds of good tips here.

~ Cindy
Old 01-17-2015, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I've recently notice that there's a trend towards borderless quilts and frankly, I really like them. However, I can see some potential problems arising from not having a border to help fudge the squaring up, or keeping the seams from unraveling. I'm sure there are other issues that I haven't thought of yet. Any tips out there?

Thanks, Cindy
I'm a fair weather quilter mostly seeking vice giving advice. I am doing a border less childs quilt now. I was thinking of running the edges thru my serger after I square it up. Luckily I don't think my 5 yo grandson will care about squareness, skipped stitches or any of the other things I'm sure it has. Lol
Old 01-17-2015, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by IQuiltnFL View Post
I made a borderless quilt recently. Sent it to be long armed and until I read this thread I never gave a thought to potential issues. I did stay stitch the edges. I saw a quick photo of the quilting and I'm thinking the binding will be a challenge where feathers extend to edges. I have my fingers crossed that my excellent long armer took that into consideration. It comes back soon. I always get so much good information here. Next time I'll be thinking about the details of making quilts borderless.
Your long armer probably runs a line of stitching around all outside edges (either first or more likely as she rolls it) just shy of 1/4"--and then makes sure that she doesn't overlap that with the design so it doesn't end up in the binding.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:33 PM

When doing borderless quilts, especially charity quilts, I do the birthing method, then "tie off" with my DSM every 4" or so. It works out great and they go together quick and easy.