Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Christmas Pickle quilt... >

Christmas Pickle quilt...

Christmas Pickle quilt...

Old 08-29-2013, 03:18 AM

Wow that is an amazing job. Good for you!
Old 01-18-2015, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Nexxus831 View Post
Kan, I absolutely adore this quilt. How did you pick your colors? I would love to eventually one day try this. I do not see a thing wrong to issue a warning or give you a ticket. It looks perfect to me.
Sorry I didn't see your question. Even though I'm not a QB newbie, I'm still not great at knowing I have new replies to a thread.
By now you've probably made the quilt.. unless you're like me..lol

To pick the colors I used a very scientific approach:
I grabbed all the green fabrics from my stash, along with some purples, reds, pinks and "pinkishes" (that's a real word, in the Kifasaurus) I laid them out and I drove myself crazy-er deciding which ones to use. Lol..
Seriously, that's really how it went, until I finally just started sewing the blocks.

I mainly tried to not put the exact same shades/patterns close to each other, and I tried for enough contrast so the pattern "worked". Which looking at the pic, there are a couple I would've changed had I seen them at the time. I have been known to take out entire blocks and redo, but I'm trying to not do that so much anymore...
When I was laying all the kajillion hst blocks out amidst the nyb blocks I even coerced my hubby into helping me try to arrange them. But it got to where he was a tad too helpful (as in seeing where one was next to one just like it again, over and over) until I thanked him kindly and excused him from blod (block lay out duty). Finally I just said, This is it, and sewed them together.
I'd love to say it's all finished and quilted, but that would be a fib. So I won't say it .

My main advice I'll say again, as it was a big help: add an extra 1/4" to each piece of the nyb pattern. I did it on all but the outer arc, and I don't know why I didn't add it to it. That's why I had such a hard time squaring up my blocks..and why some have "pointy arcs" and some are a tad cut off on the edge.
So add that 1/4"!
Lastly, it just looks complicated.. I promise it's not. If I can make it, anyone can make it. If you can paper piece, and make a hst, you can make it.
After you make 1 nyb block, you'll have the hang of it.

Thank you all for your kind words, too.
And if I missed any questions, please pm me, and I'll help if I can.
Regards,
Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 01-18-2015 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:40 AM

WOW, Kiffie, this quilt is gorgeous!!!! My stash lacks green so I may have to buy oodles of new fabric to make a quilt like this. Oh how I really would love to make this!

Jan
Old 01-18-2015, 05:03 AM

Thanks, Jan. I actually grew to love the quilt, even though I didn't want to make it at 1st.
I guess that's what friends are for...to get us into messes!! Fun messes...lol
And, don't you hate "having" to buy fabrics??.. So sad...
K
Old 01-18-2015, 05:13 AM

That is a beautiful quilt! Looks like it would be difficult-great job!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:02 AM

Question - this book is out of print and price for used seems very high.......so how can a LQS offer a class on it....isn't the rule " you have to buy the pattern to do the class"?
Old 01-18-2015, 06:10 AM

I LOVE it ! Great job!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:22 AM

Gorgeous quilt and I am extremely jealous. Great selection of colors it really keeps you eye moving all over the quilt.

You sound like me, tell me I can't do something and I will do it just to prove you wrong =0) I really want to do a New York beauty quilt but I have never tried curves. I guess I just need to take the plunge and just do it.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Question - this book is out of print and price for used seems very high.......so how can a LQS offer a class on it....isn't the rule " you have to buy the pattern to do the class"?
I took this class at my LQS a couple of years ago as it was what was being offered to learn paper piecing. I just wasn't getting the hang of pp'ing on my own so did the class. The stand-alone pattern was available at that time.

And, as Kiffie says...once you get the hang of the NYB blocks, it really is not a difficult pattern...just tedious, especially with all those HST's.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:14 AM

I love it when someone else comes along to tell you what your level of piecing is... it's great you went ahead and made this top. I was wondering when you paper pieced if you sewed on the paper or used the freezer paper method. and if you didn't use freezer paper check it out... if i'm going to paper piece freezer paper is the way. Beautiful job and i bet your friend is excited.
j