Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL >

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Old 01-18-2015, 05:36 PM

Great blocks Macy - especially the embellishments!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:22 PM

Thanks. While digging through my stash, I found a long quarter that had the butterflies, and while the print was not something I wanted to use, the butterflies were just the right color and size, so I cut them out. I've got about 25 of them, so I plan on adding them to the blocks with "flowers" on them.

I don't particularly like hearts, so I figured that would help de-emphasis them.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:50 PM

Macy, lovely blocks! I especially like how you did the flowers with the butterfly fabric.

I have three blocks done but I need to redo one. Unfortunately, I just got an invite to a baby shower and I need to complete a quilt for the new cousin. My goal is to have it done by the end of this week and so be able to use the catch up week to remake block #1, since I am very unhappy with the way it turned out. And then I need to put some time into getting ahead, because Ragnarok is coming up in a few months and I need to make garb for myself and DH.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:52 AM

Macy: Incredible! Love the addition of the butterfly, hmm, maybe I need to look at my fabric with a new eye.

Still no book, I so want to get started.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:55 AM
dd

Macy you did a great job on the hand embroidery. That's one thing I was disappointed in the book. The stitching left a lot to be desired in the book. Yours is great. I still haven't gotten the perle cotton yet.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:27 PM

I don't know what the book recomends for embroidery. I didn't really like the look so ignored that part - ok so I really haven't read the book - only looked at the pictures and went from there.

I am using three strands, and to get interesting looks, I'll use different colors, or even a metallic strand in the mix. With that block, the "yellow" opposite of the purple has two yellow/one metallic gold strand, so it's not quite the same as the two yellows on the side.

You will get a nicer look if you pull each strand and then put three back together. This "unwinds" them so they lay a bit differently.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:56 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506868[/ATTACH]
e
another bloc k # 7 in the book and my second. Not sure if I will redo this - some of those curves and points are a bit dodgy.....will see if I can improve needleturn and revisit this one. Decided to leave out the circles in the middle as I quite liked this without
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0715.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	506868  

Last edited by kindleaddict63; 01-19-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:37 PM

Kiddleaddict - I really like the color shading, especially how the alternate with the blue having the lighter on top and the red having the darker on top.

Hmmm- going to have to see if I've got fabric that work together like that for the two part hearts. I think it looks nice without the center circle too.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:32 AM

Very nice Kindle!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:57 AM

Very pretty block kindleaddict.
The colours really can change the look of these blocks. I find i am getting a little bogged down when I am trying to choose and then again with the threads. Maybe if I just decide that I like all of the colors that I have picked together so anything will look nice, I can stop over thinking it.
I love your little butterflies macybaby. I keep clicking back to look at the picture.:-) did you use turned edge or fusible applique for it?