Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Chinese Dragon and Flying Man Machines >

Chinese Dragon and Flying Man Machines

Chinese Dragon and Flying Man Machines

Old 01-19-2015, 02:05 AM
Power Poster

Pretty.....not a chance of finding one in this part of the world. Ah....you are all so lucky
Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Pretty.....not a chance of finding one in this part of the world. Ah....you are all so lucky
I see them every so often and have seen one in the past month.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:05 AM

My Flying Man can be seen here http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...d-t251943.html . Sews nicely but a little noisier.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:50 PM

Not knowing much about Australia I would have guessed Chinese made goods are as easy to get there as they are here. You're closer, or did Australia have the foresight not to sell out all your industry to the lowest bidder?
Rodney
Old 01-20-2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Not knowing much about Australia I would have guessed Chinese made goods are as easy to get there as they are here. You're closer, or did Australia have the foresight not to sell out all your industry to the lowest bidder?
Rodney
Rodney I already answered in post #12.
You've got me started on this topic, so warning: rant starts here...
Australia sold out to the lowest bidder a long time ago, and it gets worse every day. We have almost no industry left and no chance of restarting any. We sell our land and real estate to them as well. It screws our future but as long as a small number of people are making a huge amount of short term money it will continue until there's nothing left for anyone.
Calling what they make "goods" seems ironic.
People buy cheap Chinese made things, feel disappointed with the very low quality, then buy another expecting it to be much better!

Last edited by manicmike; 01-20-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:13 PM

Welcome to the USA.
Rodney
Old 01-20-2015, 03:05 PM

Australia does make two nice things I know of: Exchange students and CPAP machines. Although it is apparantly cheaper to order one of those machines from the US and have it shipped back to Australia than to just buy one there. They are the top of the line in CPAP machines.

I had to send the exchange student back, but I'll always have memories!
Old 01-20-2015, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Welcome to the USA.
Rodney
I have to say I'm not a political activist, but I do observe what's happening and don't like it a bit.

The USA has a chance of remaining self sufficient and we have none. For example, we no longer have a car industry (the govt actively and happily killed it last year) and once manufacturing stops we can never re-start it. Here, all the factories that are being closed get demolished immediately to make cheap apartments, and most of the equipment is sold to China (so they can make the same things but badly then sell it back to us). Most of the apartments are also being sold to China. Chinese citizens can buy whatever they want here and they have been.

When I visited the US in 2011 the factories were abandoned but hadn't been demolished (more of the US is usable land so you have much more space - Australia is mostly harsh desert). The US economic stimulus plan resulted in the re-opening of some of these factories.

Australia produces nothing except food and if a local company needs a workforce, they'll set up a factory in China or India rather than here because more short term profit is far more important than helping the country.

Here's why I'm really alarmed about the shutting down of our industries: Imagine a war is announced and China's not on our side. Self-sufficiency is extremely important in war time, for obvious reasons.
In this situation, the US would re-purpose factories for the war effort, producing armaments, vehicles, ordnance, uniforms and will fight the good fight. Australia's leaders think for a few seconds, finally realise that absolutely everything we need would have to come from China and we will very quickly have no ability to defend ourselves. A moment of clarity, a little regret, then we surrender to our new overlords who already own most of the land anyway.

I've thought about this a lot, and all of our political leaders from the '80s seem hell bent on getting rid of our skills and self sufficiency. As much as your country has also headed down, we'll definitely get to the bottom first.

Is 10:11am too early for a stiff drink?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Is 10:11am too early for a stiff drink?
One of my sisters' favorite sayings is "It's ALWAYS beer o'clock"

Cari