Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recycled men shirt quilt: where to find cheap shirt? >

Recycled men shirt quilt: where to find cheap shirt?

Recycled men shirt quilt: where to find cheap shirt?

Old 01-20-2015, 01:07 PM

Default Recycled men shirt quilt: where to find cheap shirt?

Hi everyone,
I saw several beautiful quilt made with reclaimed men shirt on the web and I want to make one for my son. Unfortunately, my husband buy expensive and very long lasting shirt, so they kind of never wear out:-) I only got three in five years... I looked at the thrift store and there are many beautiful ones, but they cost between 6$ and 10$. I was thinking that the idea of recycling clothing was to use cheap material and not only being eco-friendly... I'm am missing something or is there another source to find cheap shirt?
Old 01-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

Some thrift stores have special discount days. The Salvation Army is less expensive than places like Value Village. Like everything else, even second hands store prices are going up. You can do shop yard or garage sales in the summer and shirts are usually very inexpensive.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I found the best prices on shirts at garage sales -- much less expensive than Goodwill. Haven't done garage sales in years but about 10 years ago, when I was still looking, I often ran across racks of men's shirts for 25 cents to $1 each. It helps if it's a big man! Lots more fabric in the shirt.

Do you have garage sales in Quebec?
Old 01-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Location, location, location. In my area they have shirts for $1 on Fridays at Salvation Army. Independent thrift shops run by churches & other groups sometimes have them for less. I know that in other areas prices are much higher. I would ask friends to see if they have any to contribute, or as previously mentioned, wait till the summer and check out garage sales.
Also, remember that a long sleeve men's shirt can yield well over a yard (meter?) of usable fabric. So for $6-10 that's not a bad price to pay.
I've made half dozen or so recycled shirt quilts. The think I really like is that the fabric has been laundered, so it won't shrink or bleed.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I found the best prices on shirts at garage sales -- much less expensive than Goodwill. Haven't done garage sales in years but about 10 years ago, when I was still looking, I often ran across racks of men's shirts for 25 cents to $1 each. It helps if it's a big man! Lots more fabric in the shirt.

Do you have garage sales in Quebec?
Yes, very popular in June, before the big 1st July moving day (all the rental terms are set to end at this time). I was a real garage sale lover in my youth, but with three kids, the weekend are now too busy for this. I may ask my mother to look for shirt, tough: she takes long walks and live in a neighboorhood where garage sale are numerous in summer. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:25 PM

There is a Good Will store near my house, but when I looked they were asking at least $6.00 for shirts and some were more. It didn't seem like a good value for a used shirt. Your best bet is looking for garage sales. People just want to get rid of the old shirts. Good luck with your hunt--spring will be here before you know it (wishful thinking)lol.
Sue
Old 01-20-2015, 02:37 PM

Red face

*** The GoodWill, Salvation Army, Place of Hope, & Miracle Hill Thrift Shops
*** in our area have gone totally *C*R*A*Z*Y* with their prices.
*** They are actually asking Retail prices for the things they have.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:46 PM

Look for a Goodwill outlet. They take all the unsold stuff from their other stores and just dump it all helter-skelter into giant bins that you can paw through; clothes are sold by the pound rather than by the item.

I was told that anything that doesn't sell from there is packed into tight bundles and shipped overseas to 3rd world countries. I always wondered how kids in African villages ended up with old weird promotional tee-shirts; now I know!
Old 01-21-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Look for a Goodwill outlet. They take all the unsold stuff from their other stores and just dump it all helter-skelter into giant bins that you can paw through; clothes are sold by the pound rather than by the item.

I was told that anything that doesn't sell from there is packed into tight bundles and shipped overseas to 3rd world countries. I always wondered how kids in African villages ended up with old weird promotional tee-shirts; now I know!
I wondered too, learn something new every day.....goodwill outlet....wonder if one near me? Just looked at local GW yesterday. Shirts priced at $6.99 +, granted cheaper than yardgoods, but come on, these stores are supposed to help those who need help most, some of their prices are way too high.........but did find a 1000 piece puzzle for .99- hope all the pieces are there!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:39 AM

I live in a rural county in VA and we all haul our own trash to the landfill. Over there is a shed for trading usable items. Books, egg cartons, shoes and lots of clothing. I get many shirts over there. Also helps that we are a way western suburb of DC with lots of prof. folks having vacation homes out here and they discard gorgeous men's shirts. Maybe just have an ink spot on the sleeve. Also our fire and rescue co. has a thrift store and they occasionally have a $5 bag sale--all you can stuff in. I agree paying $7 for a shirt may not be worth it. I make charity quilts and have to fight the tendency to make pretty little girl quilts so the shirts solve that problem. I come from modest means and just can't bring myself to pay $12 a yard for fabric--and then give it away. Also, around here if any yardage is donated to SA or GW, they consider it "rags" and sell it to a recycler. I hate that!!