Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Quilt Ever!- What now? >

First Quilt Ever!- What now?

First Quilt Ever!- What now?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I would also pick Navy, like the night sky. As far as quilting it, stitch in the ditch would be fine, but when you run into those joins where all 6 triangles come together, it might be too bulky for your machine. I would stitch 1/4" away from the seam, on both sides of the seam. It is twice as much quilting, but with a baby quilt you want it to be sturdy. If you have a walking foot for your machine, this would be the place to use it.
Your quilt is wonderful. Great fabric choice!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I knew you could do it! Looks great! Blue border would be a good colour I think. There is a quilting design chart on QB for OBW that you might find interesting. SITD is fine for quilting and if you have a walking foot it might make it easier to go over the seams.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Fabulous quilt! I have been quilting for over 20 years and have yet to attempt the OBW. You did a spectacular job. My favorite borders for OBW quilts like yours is the original fabric. I always think it is fun to see the original fabric that made up the hexies on these. And there is no doubt that it will match!. If you have more of it or can get more of it, I would use that.

Regarding quilting, there is a lot going on in the quilt already and anything fancy won't show. As others have said, SID isn't always easy to maintain. I love quilting 1/4" away from the ditch or close to it, using the edge of my presser foot as a guide. If your batting allows it, you can just quilt around, or just inside each hexi. Another easy quilting design that would work well with this quilt is a simple cross hatch set on point. Just straight line quilting diagonally across the top, first in one direction, then the opposite, forming a grid of diamonds. I would recommend a 2" grid. Use a thread that will blend in. You can use blue painters tape as a guide for your lines. It is easy to do and quick. Best to get a walking foot for your machine for any quilting but if you don't have one you can probably get by with your regular foot, just make sure the sandwich is well basted so you don't get shifting. Many here like using diluted elmers school glue or spray adhesive. The cross hatch will make the quilt extra durable for the numerous washings a baby quilt needs to endure.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Thank you!!!! I never knew this.
Yes, I always tell myself...."eyes up"
Old 01-22-2015, 07:34 AM

You did a fabulous job...are you sure you never did this before or are you joshing us? Just kidding.........you have graduated cum laude......are you hooked now or was this just a passing challenge.....
Old 01-22-2015, 07:36 AM

Wow! That's a great quilt, especially for a first! You must be a "natural" at this!

I also like to see a bit of the original fabric on stack-n-whacks. If not on the front, then do a panel of it on the back. It's sort of a childish thing to do I guess but I have fun tracking down where each triangle came from in the original fabric pattern.

I like the idea of a "night sky" border. Dark blue with random dot-stars would be perfect.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Laurajbr View Post
Wow! That is stunning. It looks like a day dream that Neil Degrasse Tyson might have! You must have had fun/great frustration selecting the placement on the fabric for the points. That red center one looks just like some of the distant photos crom Hubble!
I think that baby is destined to be a scientist!
If you do a meandering quilt pattern you can point out that it is repeating fractal pattern, apropos for the astronomical theme.
Wow thank you! That is exactly what I was going for. I was thinking having a strip of my boarder embroidered with the quote "We are made of star stuff" by Carl Sagan
Old 01-22-2015, 09:24 AM

If this is your 1st quilt, what will you try next? This is fabulous. With all those colors maybe a black for the border so it doesn't take away from them. On the batting, it depends on whether you want it fluffy and soft or sturdy I guess. I used to use W & N but have gone to Hobbs 80/20 as that's all I can get locally. It makes for a warm quilt here in Iowa so I'm happy. I still can't get over this being your 1st quilt, its amazing. WELL DONE!!!!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Stunning quilt anxious to see finish.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:25 AM

Wow! Thanks for all of the kind words and advice. All of this positive feedback is good for the ego Its definitely not perfect, not all of the points in the middle of the hexagons line up perfectly, and it is definitely not perfectly squared up but the busy design makes the tiny imperfections disappear, and I think adding a boarder will help me square up the quilt.(hoping).

I just bought a Singer Talent 3321 off of craigslist for $75 for this project but I am going to buy a walking foot for my sewing machine for the quilting step. I sort of wished I had it when I was sewing the rows together.

Thanks for the quilting advice feline fanatic. Cross hatching sounds like a good plan, either that or I will follow the seam-lines on either side ¼ out. Do you guys think navy blue or black thread will bend in best?