Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?.... >

Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?....

Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?....

Old 01-23-2015, 09:19 AM
sap

I think everyone has the same problems. evernoticed the wheels on the shopping carts at JF or wallmart?
Old 01-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Well, I could say that I'm a very neat quilter/sewer, however, I'd be lying. I think it is part of my genetic makeup, as even when I worked as a secretary, my desk would get messy, then I would stop, take a few minutes and straighten up. My DH has never understood my work habits; even going so far as to "tidy up" my desk when we shared an office and I was in the middle of transcribing an important town meeting. You see I had reports, correspondence, and other asst. paperwork set up in order that the meeting followed; and I was totally upset as he messed with the rhythm of my work. I think your DH has to respect your work ethic, as you respect his, I'm sure you would never attempt to reorganize his tools on his work bench. Yes, I'm a messy quilter, but I make beautiful quilts.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:50 PM

Most ppl would have charged you extra for cleaning the roller!
Because I've always had long hair and she'd like a dog I used to
Watch my dad cut the hair out of the roller so
Now when I do it I always think of him with a
Smile! I have threads now with the hair!!
Old 01-23-2015, 02:59 PM

I put paper bags taped to my cutting table and have two wastebaskets near my sewing machine and ironing board. I have pets and don't want them eating the thread so I am careful to pitch all into the containers. I am messy otherwise !
Old 01-23-2015, 05:26 PM

You all have made me . I never thought to check my wheels, but I think I better!! If one goes by the number of threads on me and Miss Maple, the wheels can't be too safe.
My biggest problem is not putting the fabrics from the last quilt away before I pull the ones for the next quilt. I will clean off the cutting area, putting the last fabrics either in a bag or box off to the side. Then I'm too excited to start the next one so I just start pulling the next fabric.
When I have fabrics I know I own but can't find for a quilt, and 4 or 5 bags/boxes stacked up off the side there, I know it's time to stop and clean and put away the fabric. Why? Cuz the one I can't find is probably in one of those bags or boxes. LOL
Old 01-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

I would rather be happy than neat!
peace
Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 PM

I drop threads all the time and they end up in the rollers on my chair as well. I dig as many out as I can when it won't roll any more.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:40 PM

I Bought this scrap pack during the latest 50% off everything alt Martelli's, I didn't pay enough attention to the description to realize I had to put it together. It works fairly well as I put it to the left of my machine so when I use my left hand to throw away threads I see it (bright yellow) & throw them there. On my right side is a trash can that gets used when tossing away from my right hand. But I don't really think it was worth even the 50% off and the instructions weren't that easy to follow either.
http://www.martellicatalog.com/mm5/m...egory_Code=NEW
Jeri
Old 01-24-2015, 12:40 AM

Well, Jeri, I had never thought of having a right-side trash can and a left-side trash can. Will have to try that. As far as me, I find it easier to vacuum after the fact than try to remember to toss each little snippit into a container. After reading this awesome "thread", I can see that we each have our own degree of messiness/neatness. One thing that I have found to help me from dragging thread all over the house is to use one of those sticky rollers on my own clothes before leaving the room.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:22 AM

Oh, funny. I have sticky rollers everywhere, just to try to avoid leaving the house with threads "dripping" from my clothes.