Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are your personal quality standards? >

what are your personal quality standards?

what are your personal quality standards?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:55 AM

I've always been a a prfectionist but that doesn't mean that I do everything perfectly - I try. I always try and improve my work with each quilt I do. I rip and redo my stitching if my seams or points don't match. I try to figure out new ways to match seams and/or points so I keep my brain challenged. I DO like a challenge! If I let something go that is not up to my standards, my eye will immediately go to it and it will be my focal point. This is "skewed" but it's how my brain works --- thus my attempt at doing things "right". I guess it could be tiring to some, but to me it's the challenge that keeps me going!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:55 AM

i was told a long time ago each of us has our own way of making a quilt which makes each one indivdual even if i fallow a pattern it is not excatly the way it was orginally made that makes it my quilt and n ot the same as every one else's i come from along ,ine of quilters when i first started there were 26 of us that would get together to talk about our quilts in the family it now now a few years later and there are only three of the orignal group left and only one that has strted she is 14 yrs old the only quilts i am verry picky and have to be perfect is a fair quilt or one for a show other wise they go togeth how they go god bless you and have fun quilting don't make it a job make it a labor of love and fun
Old 01-07-2010, 09:02 AM

I am a cozy quilter. When I was learning the teacher said to try and be consistant but that if someone was riding by on horseback and couldn't see any problems if was fine. I do find that as I quilt my stitches get smaller and more consistant. A friend of mine that wins prizes for her quilts, has stitches that look like they were done on a machine. I figure if I am going to all that work, the stitches are going to be seen. A lot of my friends are now machine quilting but I find that hand quilting is very relaxing and I enjoy it greatly.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I always try to make a perfect quilt and so far I haven't, I try to do the best I can at that particular moment, if it isn't perfect, and it hasn't happened yet, then I settle for the best I can do. I always try to do the best I can do and think that is all I can do.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:39 AM

I believe if a job is worth doing it is worth doing well. If you apply this to your hobby, you cannot go wrong and whatever you accomplish will be worthwhile. Only God is perfect, so if I do my best that is good enough. I learn something new with each quilt or project, whether it be from a mistake or trying out a new technique. It may not be "good enough" but at least I tried.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:47 AM

I'm a cozy quilter too. Just remember not to long ago quilters made mistakes on perpose. So their quilts were not perfect. This was done to remind us that nothing is perfect.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 AM

It's not like a really have a choice! Perfection is a standard I can never reach. I like the term "cozy quilter." I guess that means "done" and "not too awful!"
Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 AM

I lived in Mennonite area for many years (near St Jacobs Ontario) and if their quilts are "perfect" , they will deliberately put something in the quilt that is not perfect to indicate that only God is perfect.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:20 AM

yep I'm another cozy quilter although I have been known to redo a few seams. sometimes you just got to redo something to make it come out right
Old 01-07-2010, 10:25 AM

One of the quilters in our group is a perfectionist and does show quilting. Not so for the rest of us.
We all sSHARE her joy in HER accomplishments and we are happy to be cozy quilters.
We admire her ribbons and she lets us use her 'prize' iron.
What a deal!
Keep sewing!