Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
I'm overwhelmed by my quilting stuff! >

I'm overwhelmed by my quilting stuff!

I'm overwhelmed by my quilting stuff!

Old 01-04-2015, 05:58 PM

Zozee- that sounds like a great challenge. I've been working on clearing out my sewing space as well. I'm retiring as a teacher this year so am starting a bag of supplies for a coworker who works for a rec program in the summer. I'm donating a few gadgets that I've never used to a friend of mine who runs a quilting retreat for raffle prizes. I have two bags for charity and almost three bags of trash. It is feeling satisfying for the most part. I have been getting overwhelmed by how much more needs to be done, 'though.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:35 PM

A few years ago I was overwhelmed with my sewing room being a mess. I finally got it all organized and felt pretty good about sewing in there. Then my daughter wanted me to sew some Christmas pajamas for everyone. Needless to say my tidy room ended up being a total mess - got that cleaned up and now I have my own mess again with scrap bags full of stuff. Also my house ended up becoming a total mess because I like to sew more than I like to clean house. Long story short - I am getting my house back to order a little bit at a time. I started on one bathroom/bedroom and go from there. I make weekly visits to the thrift store to donate stuff (thank goodness it is close by). I just made up my mind to start getting rid of things I no longer need or use. Get rid of the clutter, etc. So slowly but surely it is coming along.

I would start with the books, and magazines and patterns. If you don't use them - donate them. Same with the high loft batting - if you are not going to use it - donate it. Next the gadgets and the fabric. Same story.

Also, I would box or bag my things up for give away and put by my front door and when I got a pile I loaded it into my little Rav4 and drive straight to the thrift store. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:13 PM

One quilt at a time. Get one of those 40 gallon storage containers that are so cheap at all the big box stores and hardware stores and put all of your batting into it. What's what I did, and it works out really well.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:56 AM

I've just put in a new sewing desk area and now have all of my stuff piled up in boxes, until I can put it all away in my new digs. So, I'm certainly feeling for you. I had no idea that there was so much to deal with! The 3 piles is a great idea and I plan to use it and make a weekly trek to the thrift store to donate. However, you may find that some things that are perhaps too valuable to donate, or you need a little cash, so consider selling some things on Ebay. It may just help pay for your home improvements...or at least buy some fresh, new fabrics...LOL.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

When I sort the different Keep, Toss, Donate, I use my laundry baskets. Toss and donate get transferred to garbage bags marked toss or donate. Fabric/items in Keep get put to the side and I take a break. You'd be surprised the dents they make.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:30 AM

I feel the same way, I have created a monster by collecting and buying "great" sales. So my mission is to clean up my sewing room(s) today (again)and stash as much out of sight as I can. Then work on one project at a time, and donate to my local charities. They are always happy to receive these items. A win win. I have done a decent job staying out of the fabric stores lately. Only buy when needed. Good luck with your clean up and projects.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:35 AM

I wish I could control myself. I get in a fabric store and buy more than I need and always think I can finish something much quicker than it really takes.

Have to remember if you let some of the current stuff go, will be helping a guild that is doing charity quilts.

If only I could remember that.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:25 AM

And, keep in mind that Quilts of Valor are screaming for fabric and so is Heads at Ease.. that is pillow cases for service men and women.. Donate and get it out of there!!! They will take batting too including high loft.
j
Old 02-01-2015, 07:27 AM

I have made myself not buy fabric... because the fabric i already have is because i really liked it!!! I try to use it up and i keep saying 'you bought this because you really liked it'.
j
Old 02-05-2015, 03:31 AM

PHP Code:
echo "I am not good with this, but the way I am trying to look at is that the things I don't like/want/use are keeping me from being able to find the things that I do like, which ends up wasting my time, which is worth a lot more than a couple yards of fabric that I hate.\n"Now I just need to practice what I preach