Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flooring question--need help! >

Flooring question--need help!

Flooring question--need help!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Casters are available for carpet or hard surface. Make sure that you have the correct caster for your flooring.
sandy
I agree. When we went to laminate floors, we switched the casters on our desk chairs. I had no idea there were two choices....may even be more than that.

Dina
Old 01-25-2015, 10:36 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Why not vinyl with a block pattern that will allow you to measure out fabric or batting, line up layers, baste or pin, and sweep/wash easily?

Jan in VA
Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 AM

I just removed the carpet in all common areas of my home and my sewing room and replaced with hardwood. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. No more threads or pin/needle worries. So much less dust in the room. My chair is a joy to roll across the floor now. Everything said above is true. My foot pedal seems to stay in place better now. I used to have to chase it across the floor all the time regardless of what I put on the bottom to keep it still. I am going to get a small oval braided rug to put on the floor in front of my TV - just to muffle a little of the hollow sound in the room and so my babies (two dogs) can lay on it while they hang out with me. After 6 months, I would not go back to carpet in there. Ever. It always seems so much cleaner (even when not clean) and it is so much easier to clean.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:07 AM

Depends. What's underneath? Another room, a crawl space, a basement, concrete slab? Carpet will be warmer. Your chair will roll better (if that is a consideration for you) on hardwood or laminate. However, you can always add an area rug if you want on the hardwood or a chair mat on the carpet. This is another one of those decisions only you can answer. My sewing room is carpet and I love it.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:11 AM

I'll join the group who says HARDWOOD. Or laminate. However, I would avoid pre-finished hardwood. All those little grooves between the boards are excellent places for pins to hide when you drop them. You want a SMOOTH surface.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:28 AM

Lived in this house for thirty years and have carpeting in my large sewing room downstairs. It is warm and cozy and inviting. I keep a big lint roller and a long handled magnet in the sewing machine area. When the day of sewing is done, I give myself and the sewing area a once over with the lint roller while still sitting in my chair, and have never had a problem with the carpet. I very seldom use pins any more. I wear socks but not shoes when I sew. I think the carpet gives the room a cozy feel.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:42 AM

The room is in the basement and will be over concrete. Hubby is using a combed waffle board designed for added warmth and provides a cushioned level flooring. That's what the box says anyway. We are going shopping today. Then it's more cleaning and packing up.

For the past 10 years the basement has been a 30 x 40 ft open space for sewing/storage/grandkids play area. It's time for walls! I won't lose space but will now be confined to a room--except what spills out. My finished room will be approximately 15 x 20 ft.

We currently have carpet for the kids to play on. It is my secondary design wall. There is a queen size flannel sheet on the wall that has doubled for a design wall and bulletin board. Only about 40 x 40 is open. So when a quilt gets too big it goes from wall to carpet.

This is pretty exciting!

Last edited by Grammahunt; 01-26-2015 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I have marble looking white ceramic tile for mine. I love it. I use the padded floor mats in front of the ironing and cutting tables and chair mats under my chairs.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:38 AM

Hardwood. You can always add a rug or carpet over the wood if you want. I don't think you'll want to do that though after picking up pins, needles and threads for a while.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:39 AM

I'm apparently in the minority here. I had carpet in my old sewing room and loved it, but was looking forward to vinyl in my new sewing room just for ease of cleaning. Working on a sealed concrete floor right now (until flooring gets put in) and HATE it. Every time I lay light-colored fabric on the floor it gets dirty. The floor is dusty all the time, and I can never get it clean enough to lay out a quilt. Plus, I've broken one ruler already after dropping it - and I'm a klutz, so this is only the beginning of THAT problem. So I'm vetoing any hardwood, vinyl, tile or laminate on my floor when I lay them. I'm going back to carpet. Easy to clean, quilt tops don't pick up dust, and easier on the back, my feet and my rulers!